Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-t214227.html)

JeanneS 02-19-2013 08:08 AM

What do you do?

When you see a collection of fabrics that you LOVE and want to add to your stash but do not have a particular project in mind?

Do you buy a jelly roll, fat quarter collection, charm pack, layer cake or just buy some yardage of the fabrics that catch your eye and hope you get enough for a future project?

I just saw the Moda Collection Enchanted Pond and want to buy some but have been only quilting for a year so still learning how to build a stash.

I have been lurking for several months and am learning so much, this is my first post.

Jeannie

Joset 02-19-2013 08:12 AM

if i see something i like i usually get at least a yard.

mighty 02-19-2013 08:13 AM

I would buy yardage and add to my stash.

pollyjvan9 02-19-2013 08:21 AM

I buy what I love and what I can afford. I very seldom buy fat quarters or any precuts. To me it seems more economical to buy yardage. I almost always buy with a coupon or on sale and try to buy at least a yard. If it is a fabric that will go with a lot of others, like a blender or something like that I try to buy more.

francie yuhas 02-19-2013 08:21 AM

I learned the hard way...if I really love something,I get 3yards,plus 1yard cuts of 2 or 3 pieces to go with it. Then there is enough to do a pretty good sized quilt. My stash is full of beautiful fat 1/4 s and small pieces...just encourages the creative juices.

Quilty-Louise 02-19-2013 08:28 AM

I usually buy some of each fabric in the collection.

Once I get home with the fabric and depending on how much there
is I will put it all into a zip lock bag (usually a 1 gallon or the 2-1/2 gallon)
it there is a pattern that goes with the fabrics (and I have a copy of it) it
goes into the bag with fabrics also along with a details notes I make with
my ideas, thoughts etc.

ninakk 02-19-2013 08:42 AM

I pile up fabrics to my stash, usually buying at least 1 yd, if I really love it, I get 3-4 yds. That's usually enough for bigger quilts too, and occasionally I donate some to my mom if I can't come up with a good project and she has something on mind.... :-)
Occasionally I buy charm packs or fat quarters as far as the precuts go but I have found it be more useful to have fabric by yard - there is always some use for it! More than once I have gotten an inspiration from my fat quarter stash, just to find that I would need a few certain color fat quarters more .....

GagaSmith 02-19-2013 09:10 AM

If there are several fabrics in the collection and I love them all, i might buy a 2-3 charm packs and yardage of a couple of my favorites to go with them. That way I will have some of all the fabrics but won't break the bank.

Charming 02-19-2013 09:19 AM

It depends on what size quilts you like to make. Let's say you are thinking of a wall hanging or lap size quilt i would buy 2 of the same precut and then couple of the different fabrics to coordinate (at least 2 yards each) for borders and sashing, then you could use all what is left to make a unique backing.
If you like big quilts then i wouldn't buy less that 3 yards of each fabric and like (4-5) ones to make the full quilt with borders and sashing whatever needed.

Scissor Queen 02-19-2013 09:21 AM

It depends on what I see the fabric becoming. If I "see" it becoming a specific pattern I buy enough for various parts of that quilt. If I don't know the pattern yet but it would be great borders I get at least 3 yards. If it's likely to be a focus fabric in the blocks and the borders then I get 6 to 8 yards. For the supporting fabrics in a quilt I generally get two yards.