Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fall Fruits OBW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fall-fruits-obw-t22014.html)

k3n 06-28-2009 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rhonda sent me a stack of fabric a while back to make kaleidoscopes and here's the first top. There was just over a yard and the repeat was 6" so I managed to get enough to stack n whack. To intensify the OBW effect, I cut the strips at2 & 1/2" so the triangles finish at 2". Sorry about the blur in the corner - think I need to clean my lens!

These are great fun on this scale - the second one is already underway! I'd recommend anyone who wanted to give this a go to try a mini one like this first - a good yard of fabric is all you need and a couple of free evenings! :D

Thank you Rhonda for providing the fabric AND the inspiration to create a 'microscopic kaleidoscopic'!!! :lol:

gaigai 06-29-2009 02:27 AM

So, you did Stack & Whack with corner triangles, rather than OBW which doesn't have the corners, right? Wow! I would be blind! It looks AWESOME! Great job! How big is the finished product?

k3n 06-29-2009 02:36 AM

I had 6 x 6" repeats and cut stacks of 6 triangles of 2 1/2" high (I got two strips from each repeat) to make hexagons. I filled in the sides with half hexs then just trimmed the points top and bottom. It's around 26" x 24" I think - haven't actually measured. This one is for Hans - he advised on the placement - I first went for lights in the middle radiating out but he said from light in one corner going across to dark and I like his way MUCH better! The other thing I did here for the first time is a skinny, 1/4" inner border and I really like the effect - so easy to do as well!

tlrnhi 06-29-2009 03:07 AM

It's purty!

k3n 06-29-2009 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
It's purty!

Why, thaaank ye very much! :D I'm pleased with it - I wasn't sure it would work on such a small scale - didn't think there'd be enough different blocks to get the full kaleido effect, so I'm so glad it worked out AND that you all think so too! I've started a blue floral one that I thought I'd use for the Japan Twist - I'll make it a tad smaller so it fits in with the size guidelines. Thought those ladies in Japan might like it - something a bit different! What do you all think? :D Well, maybe I'd better make it first then let you decide! :? :wink: :D

tlrnhi 06-29-2009 03:17 AM

I'm sure they'd like it!
My one for Japan is about an inch larger than it's supposed to be, but that's because of the edge on it.

k3n 06-29-2009 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I'm sure they'd like it!
My one for Japan is about an inch larger than it's supposed to be, but that's because of the edge on it.

You can always say that US inches are bigger... :lol:

tlrnhi 06-29-2009 03:29 AM

Yea, that's it! lol
I'm sure they won't mind. It's not like it's REALLY bigger, just about an inch. Couldn't help it! HAD to do the scalloped edge on it!!

Lacelady 06-29-2009 04:02 AM

It's absolutely lovely. I just got my Kaleido books in the post (havn'et opened them yet) so was really interested to see yours.

Bevanger 06-29-2009 04:05 AM

wow that is gorgeous