Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   So proud of my Izabella (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/so-proud-my-izabella-t224642.html)

LovingIzabella 06-27-2013 08:40 AM

So proud of my Izabella

I took Izabella, my 7 year old daughter, to Joann's with me last night. I found a couple of fabrics I bought a little of and when we got up to the cutting counter she asked if she could tell the lady how much we needed. I said sure so I would whisper in her ear 1 yard and she in turn would hand the bolt to the lady and say "1 yard please." When the lady finished cutting and handed Iz the fabric, Iz would say "thank you." Her and Diane (the cutting lady) chit chatted while she was cutting our fabric. Izabella then asked Diane "Would you like me to read this story to you?" (She picked up a couple of Superman books in the store) and Diane said "Yes, please." Well Iz read her one of the books which had words like Metropolis and conquering in them. Diane said to Iz when she was done reading "Wow. You read wonderful for a 7 year old, did you learn in school?" Iz replid "No, my mommy taught me." Diane then said "You have such nice manners for a little girl, it is wonderful to hear." and Iz replid" Thank you my parents taught me those."
Diane looked at me and smiled and told me "way to go mom, I don't hear much in the way of manners often." While that made me proud it also made me stop and think about the kids today. Yes I am very proud of my daughter for using her manners but I feel even better that finally an outside adult said something positive to her for them. Usually she will say thank you ma'am or sir and be told "Don't call me ma'am."
Is it just me or are those manners becoming scarcer and scarcer?
Hugs
April

nativetexan 06-27-2013 08:53 AM

Oh my, definitely. everyone calls me by my first name too. nothing like being friendly. but they aren't really. I still open doors for men and never get a thankyou. Who didn't teach them? Hmmm.

Tartan 06-27-2013 09:01 AM

Job well done Mom, on both the reading and the manners!

mrs. fitz 06-27-2013 09:21 AM

When I come across a polite child (holding the door, offering to help, etc.) I make sure to say thank you and also tell the adult with him/her that I appreciate it and love seeing kids with manners. A child who hears a compliment is likely to keep living up to it. Congratulations to your daughter and to you too. And now that she knows how much fabric to order, has she learned "Mommy can I make a ......"? Another quilter on her way.

Grandma Bonnie 06-27-2013 09:30 AM

Congratulations on raising a child with such good manners! Not too many around here with good manners, but I appreciate them when I come across them! Good job!

LovingIzabella 06-27-2013 09:49 AM

Thank you all for the kind words :) My mom was insistent that we have manners and I feel the same for my child. Respect goes a long way and she needs to learn how to give and get it when she is little.

Mrs. Fitz yup she is a quilter in the making. She has her own machine which grammy bought her for her birthday and her own space in my quilting studio. She even has her own fabric bins :)

Thank you all again :D
Hugs
April

nanacc 06-27-2013 11:13 AM

Thank you for that story! I also make certain that I show my appreciation to parents and children of their good manners. I have had the same shown to me about my DD and DGS many times. They are older now, but I still hear compliments about their conduct. Whether it is my influence or my DD's.........whatever, I am very proud of them! You have been a great example for your sweet girl, I am certain. This is the type of child that I would love to meet!!

Jingle 06-27-2013 11:21 AM

My oldest Daughter has taught her three boys manners and other politeness. My 10 year old Grandson opens the doors for us. Our 19 YO Grandson saw him one day and he started holding the door for us also. I think some of it is just carelessness and not paying attention. I meet alot of polite men and boys and I always thank them.

tessagin 06-27-2013 11:22 AM

I'll take a "Yes, Ma'am" anyday. Were you able to get through the door with your chest about to burst with pride? I was always happy when some one would tell me my boys had such good manners. They better not leave home without them. I let my boys know when others would tell me that. Made them feel good.

Mariposa 06-27-2013 11:45 AM

Thanks for sharing your story April. I do appreciate hearing of folks still teaching children good manners and such. Blessings to you both!