Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-buy-fabric-do-you-expect-any-extra-length-t242503.html)

bearisgray 03-04-2014 08:47 AM

when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length?

I know I am upset if I am shorted an 1/8 inch on a cut, and pleased to get extra.

When a piece is rotary cut, do ou expect to get the piece " cut to the neaarest thread" - or do you want/ expect " a litle extra"?

I am not aware of any other commodiity - such as meat , gold, gasoline - where we think we are entitled to " exrea"

amandasgramma 03-04-2014 08:50 AM

I don't expect it...I just want what I pay for

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-04-2014 08:54 AM

Both quilt shops near me cut it exactly to the measurement. That wouldn't bother me except fabric is so often on the bolt crooked that you always have to square it up and loose a bit. I just have come to realize you have to buy a bit extra to get what you need.

janRN 03-04-2014 09:14 AM

I make mostly scrappy quilts so I buy a lot of FQs. Some of them look like a first grader cut them. The LQS all have them neatly folded for display. I've gotten into the habit of unfolding the ones I want and checking them. I get frowns from some shop owners but I always neatly refold them. I do want what I pay for and don't expect extra whether yardage or pre-cuts.

DebraK 03-04-2014 09:14 AM

I don't think I'm entitled to extra. I always round up to the nearest yard anyway or buy more than I need because I like the scraps.

Lori S 03-04-2014 09:35 AM

I do expect that the yardage I purchase is all useable ( on grain). Some is cut and or wound on the bolt off grain, and I do expect that the person selling should make the adjustment so I get the purchased amount all useable on grain. Understanding that a bolt wound off grain is not the person cutting its fault ... but they(owner/manager) can make the rep for that line know it is a problem.

crafterrn1 03-04-2014 09:48 AM

I buy extra but thats just me. I think of it this way, the shop did not load the fabric on the bolt. The company did that. If the shop owner gives an extra inch with every cut of fabric with 8 to 10 yds on a bolt it will add up. Fabric at 11 dollars a yd is to costly to do that anymore. I just buy extra.

crafty pat 03-04-2014 09:52 AM

I watch the cutter very closely to make sure it is straight and there are no flaws on the fabric. I only expect what I pay for but it is nice when they give you a little extra. I find a little extra when I order fabric and the exact cut more in shops.

PaperPrincess 03-04-2014 09:56 AM

I watch how they lay it out on the table and if the leading edge is not cut straight I bring that to their attention. As other posters have said, I don't expect extra, but I want to be able to use what I've paid for.

Onebyone 03-04-2014 10:03 AM

The quilt shop owners know exactly how much that extra inch cost them and insist on no extra when cutting. The bigger fabric store employees aren't as particular about cutting to the exact inch. I had one quilt shop owner do the math and made me wait to charge me for 1/2" extra when I wanted a full repeat at the end. I didn't go back to that shop.