Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rejoining a guild??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rejoining-guild-t248325.html)

sweetpea 06-12-2014 06:59 AM

rejoining a guild???

I'm think about rejoining the local guild!! I was a member before was not real happy with the group. But have talk to some of ladies that are still in the group from before and they are saying that the group has get realy small. I not went to see the group fold up. So I'm think that I will gave it another try. what do you all think about this should I just save my money for fabric, and save myself the troulbe of the "know it all ladies", or go back and hope that the ladies that are still are the ones who are they to help and not just look down they noses at you. I make quilts for my friends and family and not for show. So sometime there are not make with best of the best. they are made with love and the best I can aford .

quiltstringz 06-12-2014 07:04 AM

I would visit first and see how you like it. If you do rejoin, if not don't - you never know things may have changed. Joining just to see it not fold wouldn't be a reason for me. If you don't enjoy it use your money for other things.

Peckish 06-12-2014 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea (Post 6755652)
what do you all think about this should I just save my money for fabric, or go back and hope that the ladies that are still are the ones who are they to help .

That's kind of a personal decision, not one that we can make for you. I tend to lean on the side of always giving someone or something a second chance, but if it costs money to join, only you can decide for yourself what your budget and desires can afford.

bearisgray 06-12-2014 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6755661)
That's kind of a personal decision, not one that we can make for you. I tend to lean on the side of always giving someone or something a second chance, but if it costs money to join, only you can decide for yourself what your budget and desires can afford.

Sounds like good advice.

I have found some groups to be very welcoming. Some aren't. Can't win them all.

Onebyone 06-12-2014 09:34 AM

Most guild's dues are next to nothing so you won't be out much if you rejoin. With a small group, volunteer to be in charge of an activity and get things going again. Make it fun and interesting to belong.

ManiacQuilter2 06-12-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6755661)

I agree with Peggi. Some quilt guild can really be clickish. I enjoy the companionship of other quilters to share magazines and opinions with so I found a senior group and a church group in town where I feel very comfortable being a valued member.

toverly 06-12-2014 11:09 AM

I love my Guild but there are some people I avoid. They are downers and think everyone shares their opinion. I say give it a try and see if you will like it. You never know, it may be all new people or it may be the sour apples. But at least you will know.

Terri D. 06-12-2014 02:35 PM

I'd go as someone's guest and see if things have really changed and then make a decision. I think this is a common problem for guilds, as you are not the first person to describe this kind of vibe at a guild. I have had a similar experience to yours as well.

What's more fun is to start a small quilt group of your own, limiting the membership to a manageable number. That's what we did and we're all very happy. No politics, no gossiping, no cliques.

citruscountyquilter 06-12-2014 03:51 PM

I found that with any group how well a group functions as a whole depends on the president and to some extent the rest of the board. Right now the guild that I belong to has a president who doesn't know how to conduct a business meeting or run an organization and it shows. Meetings are often disjointed and there have been some heated discussions that didn't need to happen. We have had guests on several occasions when this has happened and they haven't come back. Fortunately the person who is in charge of programs is great and that keeps the interest high. If that wasn't the case I'd be afraid of what would happen. The whole atmosphere of the group may have changed since you last attended. Visit a couple of time - or as many as you can and still be a guest to make a fair assessment. I don't know about your guild but those joining mine now get in for half price since the year is half over and all memberships start in Jan.

Pagzz 06-12-2014 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D. (Post 6756177)
I'd go as someone's guest and see if things have really changed and then make a decision. I think this is a common problem for guilds, as you are not the first person to describe this kind of vibe at a guild. I have had a similar experience to yours as well.

What's more fun is to start a small quilt group of your own, limiting the membership to a manageable number. That's what we did and we're all very happy. No politics, no gossiping, no cliques.

Perceptions are interesting. Based on what you wrote about limiting membership some would call your group a clique. I am not trying to be argumentative, just pointing it out. I am on the side that thinks most groups are good and I won't be deterred by some snobs, or quilt police whether on this board or in person.

I have belonged to some guilds where I mainly went to hear the program and some where I participated more.

I firmly believe I am the person in control of my experience whether it is at work, or a social situation like a guild or church. I don't let others "make" me miserable. If I am getting annoyed then I try to remedy the situation but I do try to track that I own and control my emotions.