Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-help-t252229.html)

DonnaFreak 08-21-2014 06:42 AM

Cutting Help

Howdy y'all :)

I was unfortunately the victim of assault Monday night. In the process, my right thumb was broken and my hand is in a cast. I have two projects in progress and two others I could potentially start on. Even though I think I can still sew, since I'm right handed I can't grip scissors or a rotary cutter to do any cutting. On the main project I'm working on, all of the initial pieces have been cut out and strips sewn together. But the sewn together strips now have to be cut before I can do anything else! Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can cut these strips without being able to use my hand? All 4 of these projects are sorta "time sensitive", so I NEED to be able to work on them! I'd sure appreciate any ideas! :)

Donna

susie-susie-susie 08-21-2014 06:47 AM

I don't have any ideas for you, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your situation. Hope you heal quickly and can get back to work on your quilts.
Sue

Onebyone 08-21-2014 06:50 AM

Is there a family member, friend or neighbor that could help cut these for you? If there is a guild in you town call and ask for help.

Dina 08-21-2014 06:58 AM

Oh Donna, how awful!! I hope you heal very quickly and whoever assaulted you is punished quickly and severely. I hope you are okay otherwise. It must have been scary.

Unfortunately, I have no advice for you on cutting. I tripped and fell while I was running (on purpose, my daily exercise) Sunday and ended up with several ugly deep gashes on my left wrist and right elbow, plus a cracked rib. My first thought after I fell was, "I hope I can still sew." I couldn't bend my wrist and somehow that made using my machine really hard Monday and Tuesday, but yesterday I could get a method going that worked. It was so frustrating, as I couldn't even operate my can opener. I just had to have help.

You may just need to get someone to cut for you for a bit. I'd come over if I was closer! A very sharp new rotary blade and a Shape Cut ruler "might" make cutting possible? Pushing down with the cutter is the problem, I am sure.

Okay, I am no real help. I will be thinking of you and hoping someone else here has an actual solution for you.

Dina

Sewnoma 08-21-2014 07:51 AM

I'm sorry, I can't think of anything to do but holler for help!! Any teenagers in the family that you can recruit?

Maybe you'll get lucky and whoever helps you will get "bit" by the quilting bug and become a new quilting buddy?

(Sorry to hear you got mugged...how awful!! I got robbed once, at knife point, but thankfully I had a weirdly polite robber - when he figured out I was a broke teenager with all of $3 to my name he didn't even take my wallet. Just told me to turn around and run, which I promptly did! Scared me half to death though!!)

Tartan 08-21-2014 07:54 AM

((hugs)) what an awful thing to have happen! When the pinched nerve in my shoulder was awful I couldn't use my arm. I put my cutting matt on the kitchen floor, folded my material to cut and put my large 15 inch square ruler on the fabric. I sat on the ruler and was able to cut with my other arm. Was it fun? No but I wanted to sew!
Your options are to get someone to cut your fabric for you, use pre-cuts or wait until you can do it yourself.
:(

Jeanne S 08-21-2014 08:05 AM

I am so sorry for your horrible experience! I don't have any ideas other than getting help from someone else to do the cutting. Sure wish I lived close enough to help.

tessagin 08-21-2014 08:17 AM

Oh my! Has happened to me twice! Won't go into it but was able to defend myself and the perp will never hurt anyone again. Not because of me though! Anyway prayers for you to recover in every way quickly. Do You know anyone who could help you? Any sewing centers or guilds nearby? What about friends? Maybe they know people. I'm betting there is some one close who can and will help you. Call your doctor or nurse at the drs.' office. Your sphere of influence may be bigger than you think.

Jim's Gem 08-21-2014 08:28 AM

Wow!! I am so sorry! That's awful! Praying for quick healing. Hopefully you can recruit a spouse or kid or friend to help you with the cutting. I was able to very carefully cut with a Martelli cutter when I had surgery on my shoulder and it was in a sling for 8 weeks. I had my DH do my pressing and he and a friend spray basted my quilts for me so I could quilt them.

Margie 08-21-2014 10:14 AM

Call a local quilt group, I bet another quilter would be happy to assist you