Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Help

Cutting Help

Howdy y'all

I was unfortunately the victim of assault Monday night. In the process, my right thumb was broken and my hand is in a cast. I have two projects in progress and two others I could potentially start on. Even though I think I can still sew, since I'm right handed I can't grip scissors or a rotary cutter to do any cutting. On the main project I'm working on, all of the initial pieces have been cut out and strips sewn together. But the sewn together strips now have to be cut before I can do anything else! Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can cut these strips without being able to use my hand? All 4 of these projects are sorta "time sensitive", so I NEED to be able to work on them! I'd sure appreciate any ideas!

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

I don't have any ideas for you, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your situation. Hope you heal quickly and can get back to work on your quilts.
    Sue

Is there a family member, friend or neighbor that could help cut these for you? If there is a guild in you town call and ask for help.
    I love my life!

Oh Donna, how awful!! I hope you heal very quickly and whoever assaulted you is punished quickly and severely. I hope you are okay otherwise. It must have been scary.

Unfortunately, I have no advice for you on cutting. I tripped and fell while I was running (on purpose, my daily exercise) Sunday and ended up with several ugly deep gashes on my left wrist and right elbow, plus a cracked rib. My first thought after I fell was, "I hope I can still sew." I couldn't bend my wrist and somehow that made using my machine really hard Monday and Tuesday, but yesterday I could get a method going that worked. It was so frustrating, as I couldn't even operate my can opener. I just had to have help.

You may just need to get someone to cut for you for a bit. I'd come over if I was closer! A very sharp new rotary blade and a Shape Cut ruler "might" make cutting possible? Pushing down with the cutter is the problem, I am sure.

Okay, I am no real help. I will be thinking of you and hoping someone else here has an actual solution for you.

Dina

I'm sorry, I can't think of anything to do but holler for help!! Any teenagers in the family that you can recruit?

Maybe you'll get lucky and whoever helps you will get "bit" by the quilting bug and become a new quilting buddy?

(Sorry to hear you got mugged...how awful!! I got robbed once, at knife point, but thankfully I had a weirdly polite robber - when he figured out I was a broke teenager with all of $3 to my name he didn't even take my wallet. Just told me to turn around and run, which I promptly did! Scared me half to death though!!)

Power Poster
    ((hugs)) what an awful thing to have happen! When the pinched nerve in my shoulder was awful I couldn't use my arm. I put my cutting matt on the kitchen floor, folded my material to cut and put my large 15 inch square ruler on the fabric. I sat on the ruler and was able to cut with my other arm. Was it fun? No but I wanted to sew!
    Your options are to get someone to cut your fabric for you, use pre-cuts or wait until you can do it yourself.

I am so sorry for your horrible experience! I don't have any ideas other than getting help from someone else to do the cutting. Sure wish I lived close enough to help.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Oh my! Has happened to me twice! Won't go into it but was able to defend myself and the perp will never hurt anyone again. Not because of me though! Anyway prayers for you to recover in every way quickly. Do You know anyone who could help you? Any sewing centers or guilds nearby? What about friends? Maybe they know people. I'm betting there is some one close who can and will help you. Call your doctor or nurse at the drs.' office. Your sphere of influence may be bigger than you think.

Wow!! I am so sorry! That's awful! Praying for quick healing. Hopefully you can recruit a spouse or kid or friend to help you with the cutting. I was able to very carefully cut with a Martelli cutter when I had surgery on my shoulder and it was in a sling for 8 weeks. I had my DH do my pressing and he and a friend spray basted my quilts for me so I could quilt them.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Call a local quilt group, I bet another quilter would be happy to assist you
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

My prayers are with you, I hope you heal fast and can get back to your quilting. I wish I could tell you how to get the cutting done but other than having someone else do it for you I have no idea.

Blog Entries
    I am wondering where in ky you are at? I am close to Louisville, Sorry to hear of your trouble.

So sorry to hear that you were hurt. Hopefully, the perp(s) have been caught and will be punished. I, too, wish I closer to give you a hand. Do you have an LQS in your area? Or maybe you could talk to the Home Ec (I know that's not what they call it now, but Domestic Engineering sounds weird) teacher at the high school. If you're willing to pay for help, I'm sure there'd be a student or two who would like to earn some cash.

Hope you heal quickly.

I have a friend that is handicapped and another gal and I do all her cutting for her. I'm sure you could find someone to help you as quilters are always so helpful. So sorry for your scary ordeal, your thumb will heal quickly but it will take longer to get over the assault.
    Pat in MN

I am so sorry. Is there a LQS that could help you at least with your cutting? I know my friend who is a member of the board here occasionally takes fabric in to be cut by them for a small service charge. Wish you didn't live so far away.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Try fellow workers, spouse, neighborhood teens, friends teens. My grandfather did a lot of the cutting and quilting help for my Gma so dont over look the guys in your life

Where are you in KY? I see someone has answer who is close to Louisville. I'm in Richmond, just south of Lexington.
    Regina in Richmond, KY

Donna, I'm so sorry this happened to you! I would also suggest finding someone to assist. It sounds like there is not too much cutting that has to be finished. May you have a speedy recovery!

Sorry for your troubles. I hope you are able to find someone to help you with the cutting.

Power Poster
    If I lived nearby, I would come and cut for you.

Hope you recover quickly.

That's awful. I hope you recover soon! Perhaps in a few days your right hand will feel well enough that you can lay it on your ruler and cut with your left hand. You need to put your cutting blade on the other side of your cutter to do this. I would practice on scraps first! I learned how to cut left handed due to the arthritis in my hand making right handed cutting painful-of course, I have arthritis in my left hand, too!

if you don't think you can do this, all I can suggest is what others have said - ask a friend or guild member to help you. So sorry for your shattering experience. I can't help but admire your fortitude in wanting to get back to quilting right away! I would probably have a nervous breakdown, personally!
    Margaret F

I just purchased a ruler that might be of help to you. It is clear 6" X 27 1/2" long that has a cutter built into it. You use the palm or whole hand to push the cutter up & down. They are on the internet altho I purchased mine at our State Fair from Patrick Lose who had a booth, fabric & patterns there. In fact he cut my fabric with one & sold me on it! I have used mine & believe you would be able to work this ok. The cutter on it is kind of round & easy to use. It has small strip of sandpaper on the back to help it stay in place. It is pricey but I feel I'll get a lot of good out of it. .

If you have a quilting friend now is the time to call. I'm pretty sure any quilt shop would be glad to help in such a situation. Do you have a neighbor who would be willing to help?? That's a real bummer. Hope you get better soon!

I hope that you are beginning to heal and will be all better soon. I also hope that you have found someone to help you with your cutting. I am so sorry that you have had to suffer this horrible experience.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Prayers for healing coming your way! I'm so sorry for what happened to you. Call your LQS, or a Guild that can help you out. Blessings...
    Hello from Shenandoah Valley, VA. Quilting a few years. Love the process of creating the quilt top, but don't like making the sandwich of top, batting and backing as much. We have two Labrador Retrievers, a yellow and a chocolate. Blessings to all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast