Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cutting Help

USE YOUR LEFT HAND! A quilting friend gives classes, and she learned to cut with her left hand in front of her students. I'm trying to learn that, and do it once in a while. It can be done. Just practice on scraps for a while, and go very slowly. You are now a beginner learning all over again.

GOOD LUCK!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

First of all, I feel very sorry for what has happened. I also have some concern regarding your desire to start sewing just yet.

What is your doctor's advice on using your hand at this point of your recovery? Resting your hand to let the right thumb heal may be more important right now than quilting. Your future ability to use your thumb as well (and painlessly) as possible is the goal.

There is no quilt deadline that cannot be put off. As much as we love our hobby, the people the quilts are intended for can surely wait a little longer if need be.

I'm so sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. If there isn't a quilting buddy handy (I would gladly help you, but I'm in Ohio) would you be able to call your local quilt shop? At our local shop there is Tues. morning sewing, Sit and Sew and a UFO day. Certainly there would be a quilter there willing to give you a hand (pun intended).

Also if there is a quilt club or guild in your area I'm sure they would help a temporarily disabled quilter!

Hope your thumb heals quickly.

That is terrible! See if you can recruit some help from your Sunday School class or church or a quilt guild. Or maybe you could hire someone who would like to work for an hour or two--check your local employment office. Have you got kids or grandkids nearby? Neighbors kids? If I were there, I would help you and I don't even know you, so I'm sure you have acquaintances that would help. froggyintexas

Power Poster
    My sincerest sympathies for being assaulted, what an awful thing to go through. My only thought would be to work on the project that has already been cut and if possible, do you have a quilting friend who might be able to help you. Again, I'm so sorry this happened to you, and I hope your arm heals quickly.

First of all, my condolences. I hope you will heal both physically and psychologically. What an awful thing to be going through. Secondly, do you belong to a quilting guild? If not, is there one near you. I know my members would gladly help someone out if they needed it and it sounds like you do. Blessing upon you.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I sure would't use a rotary cutter until you get both hands working again.
    Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Golfergal View Post
    I just purchased a ruler that might be of help to you. It is clear 6" X 27 1/2" long that has a cutter built into it. You use the palm or whole hand to push the cutter up & down. They are on the internet altho I purchased mine at our State Fair from Patrick Lose who had a booth, fabric & patterns there. In fact he cut my fabric with one & sold me on it! I have used mine & believe you would be able to work this ok. The cutter on it is kind of round & easy to use. It has small strip of sandpaper on the back to help it stay in place. It is pricey but I feel I'll get a lot of good out of it. .
    Golfergal, can you tell me what this ruler is called, or give me a brand name? I'd love to look it up but have no idea what to look for. Thanks!

Donna

I too wish I was close to you to offer help. The ruler suggested by Golfergal sounds very interesting and I too would like to see it. I looked at Patrick Lose on line but could not find it. I also do not know how to follow this thread and am sure I will miss the response. Someone please tell me how to stay in the loop.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I would take them - all pressed and stacked neatly - to a local quilt shop and ask for help. If the employees are too busy, I'm sure one of the quilting shoppers would offer assistance. And, if they are shopping there, chances are they know what they are doing (as opposed to the large fabric stores).

The cutter/ruler combo is like these, available on Amazon, Nancy's Notions and some other places. I have one that is 6.5 inches wide. I like it a lot. Some people don't. One thing is you have to use steady pressure the whole time you push down on the cutter or it will skip. You might be able to learn to use this with your left hand with just a bit of practice.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EXIACSU/...l_4rsa7grsh6_b

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...uler+cutter.do

Think about checking with your doctor to make sure you can use the hand as much as you want to, to make sure you don't hold up the healing.

The best suggestion you have been given is to find a quilt guild, church group, friend, neighbor, and be humble to get help. Having broken fingers and torn tendons, etc. even being able to cut with either hand, that all ceased. I could not use the correct pressure, I was in a cast, then fingers had to have therapy. If time is an issue, get the HELP. Have patience with yourself. Allow the time to heal.
    Carol

Donna, you poor darling! I'm saying a prayer for speedy healing for you, and I'm sure others have done the same.

Please be careful with the thumb injury - don't push yourself too hard. Your thumbs are so important to so many things we do, but none of us realizes that until they're not working well. Let those who are getting the 'time sensitive' quilts know that your hand is seriously injured so the time has to be extended. If they are friends/family and love and value you, they will understand!

If you absolutely must finish these projects, see if there is a fellow quilter who can help you with the cutting and trimming.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Donna - how awful for you! I'm glad it wasn't more serious than that, though. Any friends, family members that could help? Do you have a quilt store nearby? I got to know the ladies in mine so well, I would have gone and asked if they could help. Teenager? Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I too, want to extend my good wishes that you heal for this terrible experience, both physically but, especially emotionally. Wish I lived close I would be glad to come help you with your cutting needs.

Perhaps, if you could post the general area where you live, that maybe someone on here who would be willing to assist you, in you time of need. Just an idea.
    Last edited by vondae; 08-24-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

My suggestion would be to get someone to cut for you. I had thumb surgery in June and I am in the same boat. Still recovering so I haven't tried quilting yet but I am getting anxious. I really miss it so much but I know that I can't cut, iron, or anything quite yet. Good luck.
    Donnamarie

Sorry to hear about your injury. I broke my shoulder and humurous bone 2 years ago & cutting fabric is still a challenge. But I did come up with a way that allows me to cut fabric - a little time consuming but it works. I place my ruler where I want to cut & hold the ruler down with some clamps to my cutting table then use my good hand to cut. In my case I injured my right arm/shoulder, which is my predominant hand, so I have to cut with my left hand. Hope this helps. Good luck.

so sorry to hear of your trouble. Hope you heal soon. I too would check with a local quilt shop to see if anyone could help. You could also put a note in the local church bulletins asking if anyone could assist.

Do you have a local quilt shop that could give you some help? I know that if I needed help there are plenty of women through the shop that would help. If I lived close to you I would be more than happy to help. Unfortunately for you, I live in Oregon.
    Joey

The Seven Dwarves of Menopause

Itchy, Bitchy, Sweaty, Sleepy, Bloated, Forgetful and Psycho

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2