Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   colored pencils (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/colored-pencils-t269885.html)

bearisgray 09-11-2015 07:42 PM

colored pencils

What is the best brand of colored pencils?

the ones that have the best colors and that do not break when trying to sharpen them?

NJ Quilter 09-12-2015 01:32 AM

I have a set of Crayola pencils and they seem to hold up well to sharpening. Colors probably not necessarily the 'brightest' or most contemporary but they fit my needs.

toverly 09-12-2015 05:32 AM

Prismacolor art pencils have been used by artists for years. But they do require a good sharpener. I suggest purchasing a sharpener in the art department where you purchase the pencils. A normal school sharpener is too dull, it is meant for kiddie pencils.

quiltsRfun 09-12-2015 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7314955)
Prismacolor art pencils have been used by artists for years. But they do require a good sharpener. I suggest purchasing a sharpener in the art department where you purchase the pencils. A normal school sharpener is too dull, it is meant for kiddie pencils.

I use Prismacolor and had the same experience with sharpeners. Prang has also worked well for me. if you keep your sharpener in an Altoids tin you'll always have something to catch your shavings.

Neesie 09-12-2015 06:08 AM

I vote for Prismacolor, also. I sharpen mine with my pen knife, as I feel pencil sharpeners end up wasting too much of the pencil.

Tartan 09-12-2015 08:28 AM

I have found that the old school pencil sharpeners that you fasten to the wall are the best for sharpening pencil crayons whatever brand you buy. Those little held held sharpeners break the lead to often.

JanieH 09-13-2015 08:35 AM

I definitely agree about the old school pencil sharpeners. They even beat the electric ones!

Birdscraps 09-13-2015 08:54 AM

I have the Prisma pencils and love them. About a year ago around this time I went to Staples looking for an electric sharpener and ran into a teacher friend. He told me NEVER to use good colored pencils in an electric sharpner as the lead is too soft and the vibration of the sharpener will cause the lead to break before it comes to a point. He recommended a hand sharpener. I still find that the lead will break just as I'm getting the pencil to a point but I've found that unless I'm doing a fine line a duller point works better.

Stitchit123 09-13-2015 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 7314784)
I have a set of Crayola pencils and they seem to hold up well to sharpening. Colors probably not necessarily the 'brightest' or most contemporary but they fit my needs.

Crayola has new colored pencils called ''Cra-Z-Art- they are more vivid than the regular ones.The colors seem to be richer. And they keep a point and the lead is pretty strong-I haven't had to sharpen any yet-I still do the Back to School sales.

wendiq 09-13-2015 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 7314784)

Me too......Definitely not the brightest, but strong and work in most situations....can sharpen with the hand held sharpener I got in the artists dept. at Hobby Lobby.....