Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: colored pencils

Power Poster

colored pencils

What is the best brand of colored pencils?

the ones that have the best colors and that do not break when trying to sharpen them?

I have a set of Crayola pencils and they seem to hold up well to sharpening. Colors probably not necessarily the 'brightest' or most contemporary but they fit my needs.

Prismacolor art pencils have been used by artists for years. But they do require a good sharpener. I suggest purchasing a sharpener in the art department where you purchase the pencils. A normal school sharpener is too dull, it is meant for kiddie pencils.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    Prismacolor art pencils have been used by artists for years. But they do require a good sharpener. I suggest purchasing a sharpener in the art department where you purchase the pencils. A normal school sharpener is too dull, it is meant for kiddie pencils.
    I use Prismacolor and had the same experience with sharpeners. Prang has also worked well for me. if you keep your sharpener in an Altoids tin you'll always have something to catch your shavings.

I vote for Prismacolor, also. I sharpen mine with my pen knife, as I feel pencil sharpeners end up wasting too much of the pencil.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    I have found that the old school pencil sharpeners that you fasten to the wall are the best for sharpening pencil crayons whatever brand you buy. Those little held held sharpeners break the lead to often.

I definitely agree about the old school pencil sharpeners. They even beat the electric ones!

I have the Prisma pencils and love them. About a year ago around this time I went to Staples looking for an electric sharpener and ran into a teacher friend. He told me NEVER to use good colored pencils in an electric sharpner as the lead is too soft and the vibration of the sharpener will cause the lead to break before it comes to a point. He recommended a hand sharpener. I still find that the lead will break just as I'm getting the pencil to a point but I've found that unless I'm doing a fine line a duller point works better.
    Gaye

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I have a set of Crayola pencils and they seem to hold up well to sharpening. Colors probably not necessarily the 'brightest' or most contemporary but they fit my needs.
    Crayola has new colored pencils called ''Cra-Z-Art- they are more vivid than the regular ones.The colors seem to be richer. And they keep a point and the lead is pretty strong-I haven't had to sharpen any yet-I still do the Back to School sales.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    Me too......Definitely not the brightest, but strong and work in most situations....can sharpen with the hand held sharpener I got in the artists dept. at Hobby Lobby.....

Power Poster
    Thank you for the replies/

Every once in a while I get a pencil that keeps on breaking and breaking - so I was wondering if there was a brand that was more break resistant.

Use your 40 percent off coupon for artists grade color pencils at Hobby Lobby, they have a good selection.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Thank you for the replies/

Every once in a while I get a pencil that keeps on breaking and breaking - so I was wondering if there was a brand that was more break resistant.
    I almost always sharpen colored pencils with a small knife, rather than a pencil sharpener. My knife is very sharp, so as not to stress the lead, so I can tell you with 100% accuracy, that many of the less expensive colored pencils have broken lead, when you buy them. All I can figure is that in the process of making/packaging them, they must take a terrible beating! I had one I was trying to sharpen, which had a break every half inch or so. It was unusable, as any pressure on the 'point' would cause it to move within the wooden covering. This was one of the brands, made for children.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I almost always sharpen colored pencils with a small knife, rather than a pencil sharpener. My knife is very sharp, so as not to stress the lead, so I can tell you with 100% accuracy, that many of the less expensive colored pencils have broken lead, when you buy them. All I can figure is that in the process of making/packaging them, they must take a terrible beating! I had one I was trying to sharpen, which had a break every half inch or so. It was unusable, as any pressure on the 'point' would cause it to move within the wooden covering. This was one of the brands, made for children.
    I've always suspected that!

I've also had trouble trying to sharpen the "quilters' marking pencils" - that have the chalky type of "leads" -