colored pencils

Old 09-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the replies/

Every once in a while I get a pencil that keeps on breaking and breaking - so I was wondering if there was a brand that was more break resistant.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Use your 40 percent off coupon for artists grade color pencils at Hobby Lobby, they have a good selection.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Thank you for the replies/

Every once in a while I get a pencil that keeps on breaking and breaking - so I was wondering if there was a brand that was more break resistant.
I almost always sharpen colored pencils with a small knife, rather than a pencil sharpener. My knife is very sharp, so as not to stress the lead, so I can tell you with 100% accuracy, that many of the less expensive colored pencils have broken lead, when you buy them. All I can figure is that in the process of making/packaging them, they must take a terrible beating! I had one I was trying to sharpen, which had a break every half inch or so. It was unusable, as any pressure on the 'point' would cause it to move within the wooden covering. This was one of the brands, made for children.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I almost always sharpen colored pencils with a small knife, rather than a pencil sharpener. My knife is very sharp, so as not to stress the lead, so I can tell you with 100% accuracy, that many of the less expensive colored pencils have broken lead, when you buy them. All I can figure is that in the process of making/packaging them, they must take a terrible beating! I had one I was trying to sharpen, which had a break every half inch or so. It was unusable, as any pressure on the 'point' would cause it to move within the wooden covering. This was one of the brands, made for children.
I've always suspected that!

I've also had trouble trying to sharpen the "quilters' marking pencils" - that have the chalky type of "leads" -