Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lend me your eye. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lend-me-your-eye-t272733.html)

piker6ca 11-27-2015 10:18 AM

Lend me your eye.

2 Attachment(s)
Could you lend me your eye ?
I have the squares done and i,m not to sure what colour to put between the blocks.
My eye for colour is so bad. lol
See what colour you would put around them .
Thanks so much for the help .[ATTACH=CONFIG]536581[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]536582[/ATTACH]
Tom

Boston1954 11-27-2015 10:25 AM

Well, if it were me, I think I'd like them right next to each other. Unless you feel it would not be large enough, it looks fine to me.

Prism99 11-27-2015 10:26 AM

I agree with Boston. This quilt doesn't need sashing unless you need to make the quilt larger.

PaperPrincess 11-27-2015 11:15 AM

I agree with the no sashing option. If it needs to be bigger, I would add borders.

cashs_mom 11-27-2015 11:29 AM

I agree, too. Unless you need it to be larger, I would just put them together as they are, add a border and go.

wesing 11-27-2015 11:30 AM

I would start with charcoal grey, as that appears to be the color in the paisley with light background. Not a solid, but maybe a "marble" or "mirage" or Kaufman "Fusions."

piker6ca 11-27-2015 11:30 AM

Thanks for the replies
So just sew the blocks together.
And what about if I put a brown boarder around it ?

When I look at colour wheels the colour right across from browns is blues . So is that the way the wheel works.
Just seems weird to me to use blue.
But then what do I know about colour . Was a printing press operator all my life you would think colours would have rub off on me . lol

Thanks
Tom

feline fanatic 11-27-2015 12:00 PM

Blue does look nice with brown but I would not introduce any other color into this quilt. The quilt is focused on browns tans and blacks and a new color would look odd. Stick with the palette you have now.

When you look at a color wheel Orange should be directly across from blue. Orange is blue's complimentary color.

Prism99 11-27-2015 12:04 PM

The right blue could look lovely! Because blue is not in the blocks, though, I would (1) add narrow blue sashing strips if you also add a blue border or (2) add a narrow strip of blue around the quilt before you add the brown border. You could then use either brown or blue for binding. In my opinion, you do not want to add just a wide blue border to a brown quilt; it will look as if the blue border was an after-thought. Incorporating blue in sashing strips as well as the border, or just adding a narrow blue strip to separate the quilt from the border would work well, though.

I'm not sure how the color wheel works but, in my opinion, blue would "set off" the brown and liven up the entire quilt.

Edit: Or stick with feline's recommendation. In this case, the quilt will look very nicely modern *and* neutral so it will complement almost any decor.

dunster 11-27-2015 12:31 PM

It looks to me like there's a greenish tint in some of the fabrics, so I would explore adding green rather than blue.