Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lend me your eye.

Lend me your eye.

Could you lend me your eye ?
    I have the squares done and i,m not to sure what colour to put between the blocks.
    My eye for colour is so bad. lol
    See what colour you would put around them .
    Thanks so much for the help .Name:  DSCF2039.JPG
Views: 2439
Size:  1.23 MBName:  DSCF2034.JPG
Views: 2449
Size:  1.23 MB
    Tom

Well, if it were me, I think I'd like them right next to each other. Unless you feel it would not be large enough, it looks fine to me.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Boston. This quilt doesn't need sashing unless you need to make the quilt larger.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the no sashing option. If it needs to be bigger, I would add borders.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I agree, too. Unless you need it to be larger, I would just put them together as they are, add a border and go.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I would start with charcoal grey, as that appears to be the color in the paisley with light background. Not a solid, but maybe a "marble" or "mirage" or Kaufman "Fusions."

Thanks for the replies
    So just sew the blocks together.
    And what about if I put a brown boarder around it ?

When I look at colour wheels the colour right across from browns is blues . So is that the way the wheel works.
    Just seems weird to me to use blue.
    But then what do I know about colour . Was a printing press operator all my life you would think colours would have rub off on me . lol

Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by piker6ca; 11-27-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Blue does look nice with brown but I would not introduce any other color into this quilt. The quilt is focused on browns tans and blacks and a new color would look odd. Stick with the palette you have now.

When you look at a color wheel Orange should be directly across from blue. Orange is blue's complimentary color.

Blog Entries
    The right blue could look lovely! Because blue is not in the blocks, though, I would (1) add narrow blue sashing strips if you also add a blue border or (2) add a narrow strip of blue around the quilt before you add the brown border. You could then use either brown or blue for binding. In my opinion, you do not want to add just a wide blue border to a brown quilt; it will look as if the blue border was an after-thought. Incorporating blue in sashing strips as well as the border, or just adding a narrow blue strip to separate the quilt from the border would work well, though.

I'm not sure how the color wheel works but, in my opinion, blue would "set off" the brown and liven up the entire quilt.

Edit: Or stick with feline's recommendation. In this case, the quilt will look very nicely modern *and* neutral so it will complement almost any decor.

It looks to me like there's a greenish tint in some of the fabrics, so I would explore adding green rather than blue.

Brown is really a mix of a basic color and it`s complimentary color....you can tell which by finiding the tint in ur brown....redish and or green.....orange and or blue......purple and or yellow.....I do think blue would be nice and as others have also said maybe a green.....but just sewing the blocks together and making a nice border around would work too...I would even consider putting a sashing using the light beige you have in the middle of your blocks then adding borders....that`s a lot of options...lol

If it were me i would use a deep, rich gold color to sash. Or a print with brown on a gold background. But then I'm a gold sort of person.

Have you thought of black?? I try lots of different fabric to see what looks the best.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I would use the light cream color that you have in the center. That could give it a really unique look.

Dina

I like Dina's idea.

My first thought was a light cream, like you have in the centers. They would also look great just sewn together. If you want to add a border I would consider a narrow border of the cream first, then maybe one of the browns you have in the blocks.

If you want to introduce a complementary color, I would go with either a blue grey as a complement or a light lime green as an analogous color (can't tell whether the leaves are greenish or pure yellow, but that would influence my decision toward the green if they have green in them).

For one border, at least, I'd use that pale color you're using for your center square. It's not in any of the surrounding strips and it would give the eye a place to rest, I think. Then I'd finish with a brown border....the darkest brown print, if you have enough, if not with a dark brown solid that goes with the browns you have.

I agree ...sashing would ruin the look of this quilt...for a border I would choose the dark brown to kind of make it pop and bring out the dark brown in the blocks....nice blocks...I like the colors...

Blog Entries
    I'm with mme3924 (post #18) I would first do a light cream skinny border, then finish by using a brown(ish) outside larger border. Dina was also in on the cream idea (post #14). Either way, you've done a beautiful job with the blocks and I'm sure it's going to be a great quilt.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I would just join the blocks without a sashing. But before, I would shift and spin a couple of blocks so that there would be contrast with lighter and darker strips at every joining. (but that's just me....I don't do scrappy very well) BTW, I love your selections of browns!
    One step at a time, always forward.

This is weird but I am making a quilt almost like this one, except it does have sashing and corner post. The corner posts are the same as the large middle square in the center but the sashing is just various strips of the fabric used in the blocks. Don't put two same fabrics together.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Well, if it were me, I think I'd like them right next to each other. Unless you feel it would not be large enough, it looks fine to me.
    I agree. BTW, I really like the colors and pattern you've chosen.
    jean

Tom,
    Your colors are soothing and understated, so I would try to continue that feeling in the sashing. How about a narrow (half the width of your pieces) sash in a harmonizing fabric from the same family of colors? It would provide some variation and dimension and you could repeat it in the border.

If it needs a border to make it the size needed, you might just want to make another row or two, to get the size you want. I like it just as is.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast