Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Introduction & Crash Course (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/introduction-crash-course-t272828.html)

AnnPatAlexa 11-30-2015 11:46 AM

Introduction & Crash Course

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, I'm Ann. I found a Singer 15-91 on the side of the road in June and was given a Shark Sewing Machine in Mayish. I've been working on the FandominStitches.com Harry Potter Project of Doom Paper Piercing (or Quilt by Number as I call it) quilt slowly since then.

The Singer 15-91 was in rough shape so I took it in to get repaired since the wires were fraying and I don't know a think about repairing it. While it was in the shop, I started working on the cabinet. The Cabinet had Mold and needed to be repaired.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536760[/ATTACH]

I got the bright idea on Thanksgiving that I would quilt my niece and nephew quilts for Christmas. So Within the course of Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I took a crash course in quilting based on youtube and pinterest finds. Sunday Night, I hit the wall of everything I could do for the quilt with 1 line left in the quilting process, and just the satin bias tape to add around the edges.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536762[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]536763[/ATTACH]

I've also learned that my cats are not fat enough to act as weights when they sit on the corners as I'm trying to straightening levels. So I'm learning a new skill in time to drive myself crazy before the holiday season. Sounds like a great idea.

quiltingcandy 11-30-2015 11:49 AM

It looks great.

Bree123 11-30-2015 11:53 AM

Super cute. Not sure why you need to use satin bias tape. That will be very slippery & usually is reserved for blankets. I'm sure it will feel nice & smooth, but if it causes you too much aggravation, you could always make a basic cotton fabric binding that would be a lot easier to work with. I will say that for the satin bias tape, you probably want to get clips (either the metal ones or Wonder Clips) as the pins will often leave a permanent mark/mar in the satin fabric.

Your nieces & nephews will be very lucky come Christmas Day!

Tartan 11-30-2015 12:48 PM

Cute quilt and congratulations on your new hobby!

Sandra in Minnesota 11-30-2015 12:51 PM

Great quilt with your "free" sewing machine.

lynnie 11-30-2015 03:04 PM

love all that fussy cutting

Painiacs 11-30-2015 04:25 PM

You did a wonderful job on your first I too am self taught and use a 15-91 they sew practically anything!! I did go to wm and got a cheap machine that does a few embroidery stitches for zig zag and appliques. Mine wasn't free nor do I have a cabinet so lucky you!!! Keep showing us what you make!!!

JuneBillie 11-30-2015 04:54 PM

What a great job you did on this pretty quilt. They will love your quilts.

sewingsuz 11-30-2015 05:20 PM

You GO Girl--------I like the way you do business. Very nice cabinet and sewing machine and quilt. Keep it up and welcome to the board.

barny 11-30-2015 05:54 PM

You did a beautiful job on the cabinet and also the quilt.