Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you recycle the reusable grocery bags? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-recycle-reusable-grocery-bags-t276633.html)

sew_southern 03-11-2016 08:12 PM

Do you recycle the reusable grocery bags?

I buy the cheap plastic/vinyl reusable grocery bags for my groceries, they cost about $2 at most places. I pick out the ones I think are pretty, but hate it when they start to tear. Does anyone recycle the good parts of the bags into something else? They're pretty and I hate to throw the entire bag away because of a torn area.

lynnie 03-11-2016 08:19 PM

can you make a tote bag out of them. like put on new handles, or cut away the bad spot and make patchwork out of it.

Painiacs 03-11-2016 11:28 PM

Saw on fb where they cut them up sewed sides and bottom velcro on top and make small holders for kids crayons, make up, candy , whatever!!

Painiacs 03-11-2016 11:53 PM

Was on a pg by homemade ginger called DIY velcro pouch

miriam 03-12-2016 03:27 AM

Look up Larry Hall Walmart bag self watering kiddie pool grow bag. We grew the best tomatoes ever last summer

maviskw 03-12-2016 05:26 AM

Save your $2 and make a bag out of denim or other heavy duty fabric. They wash up and are reusable for a long time. I have one that I've been using for 25 years. It goes in the wash machine several times a month. I had two, but the other one disappeared somewhere? ? ?

carolynjo 03-12-2016 06:22 AM

Right on, Maviskw! I have 3 denim bags that are over 30 years old. I have had to make them smaller because the baggers insist on filling them with canned goods and they are so heavy I can no longer carry them. One weighed 60 pounds when I staggered up the steps with it. One boy said he could get all my cans in one and when I told him that was not the object of bagging groceries, he walked away. Not fun.

misspriss 03-12-2016 07:10 AM

And speaking of grocery bags, I save the plastic bags to crochet "sit-upon s" for kids to take to a sports game. Makes a nice soft cushion.

Irishrose2 03-12-2016 07:41 AM

TJMaxx has pretty ones for $.99. I use them for all sorts of things. Even the ones with a thin spot (not good for groceries) hold fabric or shoes in the closet. I cook several meals a week for a friend and they are the best for transporting. If they don't have a firm bottom, I cut one from foam core board. Most of them wash quite well. If one gets too thin to use, I'd save the webbing for various things - you can't buy it around here and make a patchwork mat with the good parts. Trunk of car, under the dogs' dishes, etc.

Geri B 03-12-2016 12:47 PM

I make bags out of the large dog food, cat food, horse feed bags. Cut strips from top for handles, add on.....somewhere on web there's a how to. They last long because those feed bags are reinforced plastic.......