Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   There I said it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-i-said-t281568.html)

slbram17 08-23-2016 09:24 AM

There I said it!

I so appreciate the auto shut off feature on my iron. This morning I started to iron some pieces for my quilt in process. Had it face down and got distracted....for hours! Went back in hours later, iron shut off. I thought it may have scorched the ironing board but it was not even hot. I know tons of you have issues with auto shut off but for me, I would rather deal with some inconvenience than lose my home and pets. I would feel horrible beyond belief if something happened.

So there I said it. Things happen, and the auto shut off is a real safety feature.

quiltingcandy 08-23-2016 09:31 AM

You are not alone. When I was a little girl (late 1950's) we had an iron melt. My mom had left it plugged in and it was turned off but something malfunctioned and the plate literally melted. We were fortunate it didn't catch fire and burn the house down. But for that reason I am fairly obsessive about unplugging my iron. However, there are those rare times when one is distracted and the iron is left on. So that auto-shut off has probably saved more than one house from burning to the ground.

quiltsRfun 08-23-2016 10:14 AM

I have an older iron with no auto shut off. A couple of times I've accidentally forgot to unplug it and left it turned on for days. I finally bought an auto shut off wall adapter so I wouldn't burn the house down.

slbram17 08-23-2016 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7634303)
I have an older iron with no auto shut off. A couple of times I've accidentally forgot to unplug it and left it turned on for days. I finally bought an auto shut off wall adapter so I wouldn't burn the house down.

That's a good idea about our auto shut off wall adapter (I guess it is like a timer). Whatever it takes to protect you and yours.

cashs_mom 08-23-2016 10:28 AM

I have an Oliso with auto shut off and it's fine. I used to have a steam generator and left it on all night once. After that, I put the steam generator on a power strip with the light I have by the ironing board and used the switch on the light to turn it on and off. That way if I saw the light on, I knew that I had left the iron on. It's so much a habit that I still have that set up even though with the Oliso there isn't a need.

Onebyone 08-23-2016 10:36 AM

I use a non auto shut off. I have never put an iron face down on the ironing board, when I'm done pressing the iron always gets put in the iron holder even for a few seconds. I don't see why anyone wouldn't use an iron holder, it's a great safety tool. I"ve tried the auto shut off but it frustrates me. Be mindful of any iron because my friend had a Rowenta iron flame up and it had auto shut off.

ManiacQuilter2 08-23-2016 11:06 AM

That is why I always get a Rowenta with the auto shut off. My ironing board is in a dark corner so I have a light overhead hitched to turning on when the iron is on via a surge protector.

Macybaby 08-23-2016 11:37 AM

My iron is hooked to my light switch, so along with having 30mn auto shutoff, it goes off when the lights go off.

It's an Oliso, so also has "feet" that lift it if my hand is not on it, so it's never sitting plate down on anything unless my hand is on it (I never turn that feature off).

slbram17 08-23-2016 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7634380)
My iron is hooked to my light switch, so along with having 30mn auto shutoff, it goes off when the lights go off.

It's an Oliso, so also has "feet" that lift it if my hand is not on it, so it's never sitting plate down on anything unless my hand is on it (I never turn that feature off).

I think that is a marvelous idea, and I don't know why I gave it a thought before. I have now plugged my iron into a plug that only turns on when I turn on the light. It means I will have to have that light on when it may not be needed but it is an additional nod to safety, in addition to my shut off. I have never left my iron face down before but I did today. So like I said, things happen or at least they did to me.

mamagrande 08-23-2016 04:57 PM

My daughter bought my shut off iron..after I had left mine on several times. I like it. if I am working on something that I need the iron often i use my small travel iron.