Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tulle overlay for portrait quilts? Need advice! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tulle-overlay-portrait-quilts-need-advice-t281956.html)

Wholeheart Mom 09-05-2016 06:04 AM

Tulle overlay for portrait quilts? Need advice!

2 Attachment(s)
This is my first portrait quilt and I am quite pleased with how it looks so far. With that being said, I am scared to death to quilt it!

I watched a Youtube series by Lea McComas and she adds a tulle overlay before she quilts, her rationale being that she wants to avoid fraying while she sews down the small pieces. I am just not sure about the tulle overlay though- it kind of blurs the portrait and makes it seem less striking.

I took two pictures.... the first with no tulle and the second with a light silvery gray tulle overlay. I don't know if you can see a difference or not, but does anyone have any opinions? Tulle or no tulle? And if anyone has ever completed a portrait quilt with/without tulle, I would love to see a picture, if you wouldn't mind posting one. Thanks in advance :)

Maggie_Sue 09-05-2016 07:02 AM

Wow that is amazing for a first portrait quilt, on my monitor there is not much difference! Great first quilt!!!

Tartan 09-05-2016 07:05 AM

It depends on how you want to quilt it and if you used a good fusible. If you just want minimal quilting then the tulle will help secure the pieces. If you intend to do a lot of thread paining then no tulle should be fine. Great portrait!

tessagin 09-05-2016 07:21 AM

Anxious to see when finished!

GoSew 09-05-2016 07:29 AM

Lovely portrait quilt.

As for the tulle - I took a class with Bonnie McCaffrey where we used tulle to cover the quilt before quilting. She did a demonstration about how different color tulle can make a huge difference in getting the look you want for your quilt.

A black tulle or another color may make your quilt pop even more. The silvery grey may not do that. If you can take your quilt to a place that has a lot of tulle colors you can try different ones.

I was thinking that a dark purple may be interesting!

kwiltkrazy 09-05-2016 07:42 AM

Is oi ever goling to be used, or is it a wall hanging? If its going to never be used ie wall hanging don't use tulle. Otherwise use tulle.

MaryKatherine 09-05-2016 08:58 AM

Where you heavily stitch the tulle will disappear. If there are areas that you don't plan on a heavy stitch you can cut the tulle away.

lynnie 09-05-2016 09:03 AM

fantastic, I've never done one, and yours is outstanding.
the second one looks slightly softer. I wouldn't have noticed unless you pointed it out.

Jane Quilter 09-05-2016 09:45 AM

gorgeous quilt

Farm Quilter 09-05-2016 10:52 AM

I agree with Go Sew - different colors of tulle will make a huge difference in what the portrait looks like! Do try out several different colors of tulle because I just know you will be surprised at the difference they make! Love your portrait!