Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Here is a messy sewing room. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/here-messy-sewing-room-t282063.html)

Kelly_Y 09-09-2016 09:28 PM

Here is a messy sewing room.

1 Attachment(s)
So I just moved into a new two room townhouse apartment.

I'm starting to unpack the upstairs loft/bedroom/sewing room.

Trying to sort my scraps by color as I unpack them isn't helping right now, but I hope it will long term.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557910[/ATTACH]

tuckyquilter 09-09-2016 09:33 PM

It will look like home before you know it. I'm starting to sort all my fabric by color, as it's just easier to find something when looking. My cousin lives in Houston.

NJ Quilter 09-10-2016 01:28 AM

Moving/unpacking is the pits! BUT it will be far better in the long run as you say. Looks like a nice, roomy area to work once you get settled.

tessagin 09-10-2016 02:09 AM

If you aren't using that bed to sleep in right now then here's a tip how I did it. One row of yardage, lights to dark shades of the primary colors. Next row of 1/2 yardage and fat quarters (approximately) same color sort. Next row smaller but large scraps, next row smaller scraps. I had flannels in their own section for yardage. You could do the same for batiks. It just seemed to go faster for me. When I needed a break, it was easier to come back and move forward from where I stopped. I did it as if I were sorting laundry and folded as I went. This comes in handy if you want to use the comic book cards.

jbj137 09-10-2016 05:04 AM

*** I know it will be an Amazing Space soon.

Wanabee Quiltin 09-10-2016 05:05 AM

I am in the process of finishing my move so I understand completely. I have boxes of stuff on my floor too. Its hard to know where to put things when you first move in. I figure in time, it will be all OK. So will yours.

lovingLakeMich 09-10-2016 05:32 AM

Hang in there! I've move to seven times in my adult life. It's getting the big pieces in place first that help me--your machine, pressing area, cutting area for starters. Then I'd move to fabric storage.

osewme 09-10-2016 05:38 AM

Looks like you're off to a good start with everything in the room. It's just a matter of time & you will be sewing up a storm in there. Looks like you have a couple of nice windows in there that will be good for you. Can we see a picture when you are all set up? (sort of a before & after)

Kelly_Y 09-10-2016 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 7649289)
Can we see a picture when you are all set up? (sort of a before & after)

Of course!

klswift 09-10-2016 10:26 AM

I can relate! I retired and moved. I had to consolidate the sewing stuff in my home workroom, my garage storage and a 600 sq ft workroom/storage I had in the backroom of my business. (After moving, my kids made me swear I wouldn't buy any fabric for a long time!) I stacked all the boxes right in the middle, totally in the way, and set up my shelves and tables in my new space. Then I tackled one box at a time. I refused to move things and then move them again. It surprised me how quickly it actually came together. I have tweaked a few things since, but, for the most part, it works well. The most important part was sitting down before hand and thinking thru what would work where. Good luck.