Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Here is a messy sewing room.

Here is a messy sewing room.

So I just moved into a new two room townhouse apartment.

I'm starting to unpack the upstairs loft/bedroom/sewing room.

Trying to sort my scraps by color as I unpack them isn't helping right now, but I hope it will long term.

Name:  messy01.jpeg
Views: 3029
Size:  1.10 MB

Blog Entries
    It will look like home before you know it. I'm starting to sort all my fabric by color, as it's just easier to find something when looking. My cousin lives in Houston.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Moving/unpacking is the pits! BUT it will be far better in the long run as you say. Looks like a nice, roomy area to work once you get settled.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you aren't using that bed to sleep in right now then here's a tip how I did it. One row of yardage, lights to dark shades of the primary colors. Next row of 1/2 yardage and fat quarters (approximately) same color sort. Next row smaller but large scraps, next row smaller scraps. I had flannels in their own section for yardage. You could do the same for batiks. It just seemed to go faster for me. When I needed a break, it was easier to come back and move forward from where I stopped. I did it as if I were sorting laundry and folded as I went. This comes in handy if you want to use the comic book cards.

Blog Entries
    *** I know it will be an Amazing Space soon.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I am in the process of finishing my move so I understand completely. I have boxes of stuff on my floor too. Its hard to know where to put things when you first move in. I figure in time, it will be all OK. So will yours.

Hang in there! I've move to seven times in my adult life. It's getting the big pieces in place first that help me--your machine, pressing area, cutting area for starters. Then I'd move to fabric storage.

Looks like you're off to a good start with everything in the room. It's just a matter of time & you will be sewing up a storm in there. Looks like you have a couple of nice windows in there that will be good for you. Can we see a picture when you are all set up? (sort of a before & after)

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Can we see a picture when you are all set up? (sort of a before & after)
    Of course!

Blog Entries
    I can relate! I retired and moved. I had to consolidate the sewing stuff in my home workroom, my garage storage and a 600 sq ft workroom/storage I had in the backroom of my business. (After moving, my kids made me swear I wouldn't buy any fabric for a long time!) I stacked all the boxes right in the middle, totally in the way, and set up my shelves and tables in my new space. Then I tackled one box at a time. I refused to move things and then move them again. It surprised me how quickly it actually came together. I have tweaked a few things since, but, for the most part, it works well. The most important part was sitting down before hand and thinking thru what would work where. Good luck.

Power Poster
    You will eventually get it don...A little at a time.

You know, it really doesn't look too bad at all. And taking your time, if you can stand it, will pay off in the end. Looking forward to seeing what you have gotten done!

I would absolutely kill to have my own sewing area. You'll get it all organized before you know it.
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

You have a good space to work with. You'll get there. I think most people, if they have a room or good space for quilting, would say it evolves. For me, the most important thing was putting my ironing table and sewing table in an "L" formation, and I have a swivel chair. That makes it easy to sew seams and press without having to get up. But since I NEED to get up, it helps to have my cutting table in a different corner.

Power Poster
    Nice space and you will soon get it ship shape!

mac
    I have to say that you are on a good roll. You really don't seem to have that much stuff and it will be great getting a handle on now while the pile is small. It is always fun to be able to start with a clean plate. In order to clean my room, I would have to move a lot of things and that gets really, really messy.
    Good luck.

A two room townhouse? Golly I hope that's a typo....

Blog Entries
    Once you get it organized you will love it. That looks pretty similar to how mine looks right now. I do think better in chaos. But my chaos it getting to be a little bit out of control for even my disorganized mind.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Yep. Like this getting the work stations set up then move on to the fabric. Start with large then move to smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingLakeMich View Post
    Hang in there! I've move to seven times in my adult life. It's getting the big pieces in place first that help me--your machine, pressing area, cutting area for starters. Then I'd move to fabric storage.

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    Once you get it organized you will love it. That looks pretty similar to how mine looks right now. I do think better in chaos. But my chaos it getting to be a little bit out of control for even my disorganized mind.
    I hear you, I also work better with a bit of chaos. When I can no longer work in my chaos, I know it is time to stop and clean up and start with a cleaner room. If the room is too clean, my production goes way down. There is that "sweet spot" that is just right, where I can make connections with the other things that keeps me creative and productive. Organized, by some people's standards, just ties up my hands and my creative mind suffers.

It looks like you have a great space to set up your sewing area. Hard work now will pay off in the end. My sewing room is always a work in progress -- I start to clean it up then get distracted by another project. Keep us posted on your progress!

I just found a book in a thrift shop "Color and Cloth" - that is all about choosing fabric, and seeing what one has, etc.
    helpful: organizing fabrics by the color wheel (solids/or blenders I guess) and another color wheel for prints.
    I'm going to do this...and see what my collection lacks, not that I'll rush out and buy any...I laugh at myself because when I joined in Feb. I posted that I didn't have any scraps. Ha! that didn't last long.
    Moving does have a way of forcing your hand!
    "The only war that matters is the war against the imagination." - D. DiPrima

Speaking for myself, I have to have somewhere to put my stuff. I would watch Craig's List and see if there are cupboards or cabinets for sale. They can be painted to match, if needed.

Well, you have the good excuse that you are just moving in! And it will be beautiful soon.
    Happy new room!
    Dona

I thought I saw a spider,
    But it was just a Piece of yarn.
    It's dead yarn now.

Blog Entries
    It will look great when it's done. You have things in many good containers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast