Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Messy Sewing Room

Does anyone here have trouble creating in a messy sewing room? Mine is a disaster area right now and I'm planning to clean it this weekend but have to make a baby quilt now. I'm finding very little joy in making this quilt due to my surroundings.

My sewing room is a disaster, so I use my dining room table!

Why not move your sewing machine into another room for this project?

i'm the opposite.

i can't create in a room thats too nice.

i see some rooms on here that look like a decorator put it together.

i would be too afraid of making a mess and ruining the nice furniture/etc.

i paint, screen print, dye, etc fabric all the time i can't be worried about ruining my pretty things in the process.

i need to work without inhibitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Meme2six
    Does anyone here have trouble creating in a messy sewing room? Mine is a disaster area right now and I'm planning to clean it this weekend but have to make a baby quilt now. I'm finding very little joy in making this quilt due to my surroundings.
    I barely have room to move from my stash shelf to my sewing machine to my cutting table because of all the stuff stored in my sewing room. If someone puts something in there they put it on my sewing table, which I just have to put some simbalance of order to before I can get to work.

I cannot sew in a messy room. I clean up after each project. It may get a little messy during the sewing part---but it is just stuff for that project.

The room I have is quite small but nicely organized.

Every time I start a project it's like the beginning of a monsoon. I totally trash my sewing room. Then when the project is done, I clean it all up and start on the next project. I do my best work amid the chaos but I know that's not true for a lot of people - I think JulieR had a great suggestion/solution - temporarily move into another room if you can.

Blog Entries
    I like to leave my sewing space all straightened up and ready for the next time... Only takes a few minutes extra..

It makes me nervous when things get too messy. I like things semi-tidy. I like everything put away when I leave the room each day.

bj
    I don't like mine messy. I try to put things where they go when I'm done with them and deal with scraps as I go. My space is pretty small and it doesn't take much mess to trash it.

Blog Entries
    I can't stand a mess...it quickly get like that but it makes me crazy to the point where i start making mistakes and not being careful...when i can't find scissors, am tripping over boxes,etc I just want to get out..happened last night..was re-upholstering a little ottoman and I was ready to scream..had to stop and clean up half way through...

Blog Entries
    I do not like the chaos of messy either. I take the time to clear the clutter.

Blog Entries
    I like mine clean and organized. Since I redid my room about 2 mos. ago, everything is put away each night. I have a basket for the project I'm working on at the time. When I start a new one, the room has to be clean and ready to go.

Blog Entries
    I don't really have a sewing room. I live alone in a tiny 1 bedroom apt; my living dining room table has 2 sewing machines plus other stuff; each chair, except one, has sewing stuff; I have a small "sun room" that is long and narrow and part of it is used for storage. In the sun room I have a small cutting table, book shelves and ironing board, not to mention several totes filles with stuff.

Last night as I was going to bed and thinking that it seemed to be cooler in my bedroom, why couldn't I sew in there ????? There isn't a table that would work. Too that room doesn't have a lot of natural light so it would be difficult, UNLESS, I can find a suitable table to put another sewing machine on......

Years back when I was married and had kids at home, I did have a real sewing room.....doesn't matter, it was still a mess !

Don't fret over messy room, sign of a creative mind and spirit !

Blog Entries
    I Like mine neat, but it never is that way. I tend to use the layer method, where the most recent project's leftovers are on the top. when I finally get around to cleaning up i feel like an archeologist sifting thru the different strata.

If I could create in a messy sewing room, I would never get anything created. LOL But to each their own, in my opinion.

My sewing room has always been horribly messy, but now that we've redone it, I'm trying to change my ways. Time to aspire to being a neatnik! ;)

I don't like the chaos and it reminds me that I should be spending my time cleaning it up. It definitely saps my creativity!

It doesn't have to be neat as a pin, but I do need to have everything in its general place.

I put things away also...I am by no means a "neat freak" but if things aren't where they are supposed to be I have trouble finding them. My DH has just built me a separate shop (14X24) and it is hard for me to find everything since I am still in the process of moving in...but have most of the things I use all the time there and put up where I know exactly where they are when I need them. The things I did not like about not having my own sewing shop...dragging everything out...then having to put everything up...now only includes getting to a stopping point and straightening up enough to be able to come back the next time and pick up where I left off.

I cannot deal with nor work in clutter- which is why my sewing machine is now in the living room. My sewing room is so messy that I can't even go in there to clean it. My brain shuts down and I get panicky. Have to just back out- don't dare turn my back on it LOL- and walk out closing the door behind me.

I lose all motivation to sew when my sewing room gets messy. I am certainly not a great housekeeper, but my sewing room is my domain, and I like to keep it as clean as possible. We moved the sewing room from a small bedroom to a larger bedroom. We redid the floors and I love it. The only problem is there is still a lot more stuff in the old sewing room, a walk in closet full. I am dreading dragging all that in here and trying to find a place for it. I know I have to because we have plans for that room, and need to redo the floor in there too. Oh well, one day at a time.

Blog Entries
    I use the "pilot" method.....pile it here and pile it there ! Also, when I do start "straightening" I find so much good stuff !

I tend to make mine messy when putting together fabrics for a quilt. However, when it comes to sewing in there, I have to clean it first. I just make it a habit to spend a two or three hour stretch in there cleaning once a week while watching a movie! I do have a second sewing cabinet set upstairs for most of my sewing as well though, so that makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
    I cannot sew in a messy room. I clean up after each project. It may get a little messy during the sewing part---but it is just stuff for that project.

The room I have is quite small but nicely organized.
    You and me would get along GREAT. When I am done for the day everything gets put in it's place and I run the Shark cordless over the carpet. No way am I going to start in the morning in a mess!! :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Mine starts off neat and then while I sew gets little messed up, then as I finish I pick up again. I had a "hoarders" sewing room until two friends helped me organize and now it stays that way.Not perfect. I like things laying around but in their own places now. This was fun reading everyone's responses.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast