Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Messy Sewing Room

Quote Originally Posted by Honeynga
    I use the "pilot" method.....pile it here and pile it there ! Also, when I do start "straightening" I find so much good stuff !
    I didn't know my method had a name. Thanks for the chuckle.

Come to think of it, my sewing room resembles the Hoarders homes. Thanks to all of you for your comments. I've enjoyed them so much and realize it's okay to be messy, just not as messy as the room is currently.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    If I could create in a messy sewing room, I would never get anything created. LOL But to each their own, in my opinion.
    I meant to say if I COULDN'T create in a messy sewing room, I would never get anything created. LOL

My sewing room isn't messy ... it is creatively cluttered to inspire me.

Actually, if it were perfectly neat I don't think I could work in that area.

It is a hangover from having been married to a more than a freak of a neatnik. I also finally was able to paint color on walls and to decorate to my taste once I had my own life. My home is what my family and friends call inviting. They are comfortable and don't feel like they are in a museum where no one actually lives.

ali

Blog Entries
    I a, not a neat freak, but I have to have some order around me.

I really like coming into a nice, neat sewing room it makes me happy to sew. So it's a great motivator for me to put things back where they go after my sewing time . I share your pain!

yes, except mine is the dining room which seems to be the new storage room for everything non quilt related, have to clear a pile just to work, sometimes I want to work on my projects but the thought of having to clean the dining room to do it deters me

Right now mine is a total mess. I decided after piecing 2 crib size quilts that I needed to sweep and straighten up before I put them on on the frame. Well one thing lead to another and I've moved everything in this silly room 10 times trying to make it more effecient. The only thing I've accomplished is making a mess, and throwing out some old magazines. Now it will take all day tomarrow to get things back in order! Thought has even crossed my mind to run to town and get some paint. I've got things to do I don't know why I start big projects like this. But the floor is clean!

Blog Entries
    my sewing area is in my living room so I clean up after each sewing session. I also did this when I had half a basement for my quilting space so I guess I do need a tidy space to work in.

Blog Entries
    Just yesterday, July 31, there was a post in PICTURES titled Sewing Room. Take a look. The first pictures show a beautiful clean and organized room. Scroll down a ways and see my room! HA, like day and night. They say a cluttered desk is the sign of a genious!
    peace!

Mine is a mess too right now and I told myself I was going to clean it up today. Did I...no? hehe Maybe one day this week. I have a spare bedroom that I made into my computer/sewing room. I have a double wide closet that I put a huge steel shelving unit in and it's packed with fabric :) Gotta love it.

My room is messy, gee, I can't seem to keep it clean. I do my best work when it is messy! However, I can't take it when it gets too messy, then I got to clean it up! Does that even make sense? Anyhow, in my mess today, I walked thru the sewing room and next thing I knew I have another quilt started. 3 now on my design wall waiting to be completed!

quick recommendation... pick one small quick spot to straighten up. quilt a little... then repeat. When you start to get anxious about the mess, look to your clean spot(s).

I am a minimalist/neat freak and easily feel your pain.

Blog Entries
    I sew in what I call "organized chaos" until it becomes "un-organized", then I'll straighten it up.

Blog Entries
    I sew in an open area in my basement (finished) but try to keep my things in one area. Right now I'm having trouble moving from one place to the next. Time to take a break and straighten up :D

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i'm the opposite.

i can't create in a room thats too nice.

i see some rooms on here that look like a decorator put it together.

i would be too afraid of making a mess and ruining the nice furniture/etc.

i paint, screen print, dye, etc fabric all the time i can't be worried about ruining my pretty things in the process.

A girl after my own persuasion...

i need to work without inhibitions.

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh, were we married to same man ? Yes, every room had to be "perfect" and museum quality.....I had no input as to colors used, etc.......according to him I had no sense of "color or design". Even my sewing room was under his authority ! Needless to say that is all in the past and I'm quite proud of my home and my decorating tastes today, not to mention any of my family/friends/etc. can come in and be comfortable and enjoy themselves.

This guy also went a step further in that we had to have candle light each night with dinner, along with cloth napkins....even if we had something as low class as burgers on the grill...we still had to have candles and cloth napkins ! As of today, many years later, I'm not even sure where my cloth napkins are stored !

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My living room/dining room is also my sewing room so I have to have it clean. Try to vaccumn after one of my sessions as the carpet is a magnet for thread. Our office is also my husbands tool shed, so he understands. Our apartment is small we try to keep it manageable. BrendaK

I' d like to have a perfectly clean sewing room, but what would I do with it? Lol. Truthfully, I would just like to be able to walk around in it w/o tripping over stuff, be able to have someone come in to see my quilts, etc, or to have a lesson or two, or maybe sew together. Creative clutter would be fine. I've started getting organized, but can't stop quilting long enough to finish. I did move some stuff out that wasn't quilting fabric and bought plastic drawer units for my yarn, etc so I could find it easier, and I'm still cutting scraps up, so I am slowly making progress. Liked the 'pilot' method comment!

Blog Entries
    Julie R. I have to comment on you avator pic. I am the biggest Beagle fan. I might be gaga over them. I have a Beagle mix who is 15 and a half. What a blessing. One would never guess by her behavior and energy she is that old. Love the pic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaY
    I like to leave my sewing space all straightened up and ready for the next time... Only takes a few minutes extra..
    Ditto!

I need my mind and my space to be clutter free before I start a new project. No easy to do in today's busy world!

If my sewing room was organized I would know I was in someone else's. LOL

Blog Entries
    I love your sense of humour. "Pilot" Pile it here, Pile it there.
    Gotta use that -- Hope there is no patent on it.
    Haven't thought of that before. Love it. Thanks and lol
    Gleniveve

Blog Entries
    Just did some rearranging in mine yesterday because of that. Rearranging my sewing room meant a change in the sewing annex and bedroom too, so it wasn't an easy task. All that work to get started on a small wall hanging incorporating my new bat block.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast