Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reliable irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reliable-irons-t283387.html)

kjackson 10-29-2016 04:21 AM

Reliable irons

Has anyone used a Reliable iron? Supposedly they never leak or spit due to a patented system that heats the soleplate separately from the water/steam. I'm just wondering if they are worth the $170 price tag?

Thanks.

Weezy Rider 10-29-2016 04:53 AM

I've just got the newer model. I had the original one for about 3-4 years, but it needed filters, and the supply of filters dried up. I had to get rid of it. It never did spit, drip, or do any other nasties.

The newer model doesn't use separate filters, but I would use distilled water. I have filtered water, and from looking at the filters of the first Reliable, there was some crud in there. That will be a wait and see on this model.

There is no indication on the dial of fabrics. You would have to get the temp ranges from the manual. It does steam like a champ. I was using an Oliso, and the Reliable beat it hands down on steam. I worked in a dry cleaners as a kid, and we steamed almost everything. I still do.

It does shut off after 8 minutes, but there is a bypass. If you don't use steam, you would also need to read the manual. I don't find it any heavier than any other iron.

You can use it as a vertical steamer, but again, read the manual. It does put out enough steam.

HTH

SherylM 10-29-2016 05:14 AM

I really don't know anything about them that's useful information except that I used one last month when I took a class at my LQS, and that thing was heavy! Also, it sure did put out the steam!

Bree123 10-29-2016 05:51 AM

My brother & SIL had the Velocity and it was great. They've since switched to the Vivio150 steamer & that's what I want for my next "iron" (it's the same price). But to answer your question, they never had any issues with the Velocity spitting.

love 2 sew 10-29-2016 06:07 AM

Yes they are worth the price. I love mine. I think it's the Reliable 150. Check around for the best price. I got mine at a local sewing machine shop for $30 cheaper than everywhere else.

Quilty-Louise 10-29-2016 06:40 AM

I have the Velocity Digital and I LOVEEEEEE this iron.

Peckish 10-29-2016 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise (Post 7687786)
I have the Velocity Digital and I LOVEEEEEE this iron.

Me too!!! Me too!!!

Onebyone 10-29-2016 06:54 AM

I had the Velocity Digital until my DD borrowed it to steam press a suit. I doubt I get it back. LOL

Quilty-Louise 10-29-2016 07:22 AM

Two years ago when my oldest daughter moved back in with us
(after being fired from her job for needing to do OB visits due to
her HIGH risk pregnancy) she asked if she could borrow my iron.

I gave her my old cheapo iron, she came back to me and handed
the iron back saying "how can you use this piece of junk for your
quilting".

My reply I let you borrow that piece of junk because I refuse to let
use my "good" iron, and risk having you to steal it from me.

She walked away mumbling about how I knew her to darn well.

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7687797)
I had the Velocity Digital until my DD borrowed it to steam press a suit. I doubt I get it back. LOL

okie2tx 10-29-2016 07:46 AM

I love my Reliable Velocity iron!