Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   log cabin for quilt backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-quilt-backing-t289465.html)

minibarn 07-05-2017 08:24 PM

log cabin for quilt backing

I have two sampler quilts made out of Christmas fabric and have been trying to decide what I want to do for the backing. Today I saw a quilt that had a log cabin back, just one large block, and thought that would be fun. Here's my question...my quilts are rectangles so how to I figure out the sizes to cut the logs? I have never done a log cabin but understand how. I need to see what the quilts measure, have it written down, but am not sure exactly how to go about this.

Thanks!

Daffy Daphne 07-05-2017 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To make a rectangular log cabin, you just need to make your central "square" a rectangle, similar to this cushion I made for our deacon's bench:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575945[/ATTACH]

I think I would figure out the width/length ratio of the size quilt back, and use that same ratio for the central piece, and then divide the remainder by the number of logs I wanted to add.

Daffy

EasyPeezy 07-05-2017 10:07 PM

If you want to make one large block to cover the whole back you will end
up short for the length of your quilt. Put it on graph paper then add
another piece of fabric or some smaller log cabins to complete the back.
Bear in mind that anything you put on the edge might get cut off when
you trim your quilt (that is, if you do).

QuiltnNan 07-06-2017 02:37 AM

i would use my EQ, but graph paper works, too

Maureen NJ 07-06-2017 03:13 AM

What will the dimensions of your finished quilt top be? Are they divisible by an even number in both length and width? E.g. If finished top dimensions are 55 x 66, it is divisible by 11 and 5 1/2" and 2 3/4". I would graph using the 5 1/2" logs (then add the 1/2" seam allowance) because I think you sounded like you wanted a big graphic statement and one block. Maybe I read you wrong. Sounds like a fun back.

Boston1954 07-06-2017 05:47 AM

You have just given me an idea. I do not have a whole lot of any one thing for backing and very often piece them. I am thinking that I could do some large block and make the back more interesting, plus not go buy more of what I am trying to use up. Thanks.

quiltingshorttimer 07-06-2017 08:35 AM

if you are having this quilted by a long arm quilter, remember that you'll need to add about 4-6" on each side and that when rolled, it will not line up exactly, so your logs may end up slimmer on the one end.

NZquilter 07-06-2017 09:19 AM

That sounds like a fun idea for quilt backings. I might start doing that.

minibarn 07-06-2017 10:42 AM

Maureen, you read correctly big and graphic one block. I need to remeasure the tops because I wrote it down somewhere that I would be sure to find again...

Not sending these to the LA, will have to do it myself.

So, I will post back when I get measurements and see what I come up with.

Thanks.

bearisgray 07-06-2017 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is difficult to line up a back exactly with a top - so you might want to consider some sort of design factor to give yourself some wiggle room.

What size are your tops?

What about doing Courthouse Steps - that way you could have the same colors on top and bottom?

If I was going to draft a pattern - I would start with the "finished size" - and start adding strips from the outside edges to the center - and then whatever I had "left over in the middle" - would be the size of the center/middle rectangle (plus seam allowances) - and then add "extra" to the outside pieces to allow for a bit of shifting -