Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I make the things I want to. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-make-things-i-want-t298831.html)

applique 08-10-2018 04:34 PM

I make the things I want to.

3 Attachment(s)
I am having fun making the things that I want to make. Yes they will be put up for sale but no pressure because I think if I like someone else might too. Made a couple of elephants and have one stretched on canvas. I did get lecture from one of the "real" studio artists on color, but this is what I liked and this is what I made. So there. Next is a piece I have been working on for a looming September show. Finished cutting out the piece from $50 ultra suede (and yes my choice of fabric was also criticized) and now going to quilt the red, white and blue backing. This is my first "hybrid" quilt so I will now work on it at home. No more negativity or quilt police allowed. So there. You will be among the first to see what I make and you can like it or not. After all it is going into an art gallery and my rules since I call it an art quilt! Sometimes I just want to have fun.

Tartan 08-10-2018 05:26 PM

Well done and lovely looming also!

jlt37869 08-10-2018 05:36 PM

Good job!!

ScubaK 08-10-2018 05:55 PM

Not sure what the 2nd and 3rd pictures are about but the elephant looks amazing.
Don't worry about what someone else says....I always think, do they pay my bills? Then I don't care what you think! Besides, being an artist is just that....letting your own thinking and creativity flow as you see fit.
Do what you love and thank you for sharing.
Kirsten

Jingle 08-10-2018 06:10 PM

Very pretty. The red sure shows off the elephant very well.

sallie789 08-10-2018 06:16 PM

I love it! I always say that it’s art, not science which frees me up tremendously!

MaryMo 08-10-2018 07:07 PM

I also like your elephant, bright and elegant. It looks like it's right out of Africa. I look forward to seeing what you do with the material in pictures 2 and 3. I am interested in how artists create their work. Thanks for sharing.

My artwork is "out of the ordinary", usually made for my enjoyment only so it is often criticized, with suggestions for improvement. The same goes with my scrappy quilts. I really like ScubaK's advice and will have to remember it when the time comes.

annievee 08-10-2018 08:11 PM

I like your elephant--very nice

Mumto2 08-10-2018 11:38 PM

Your elephant is incredible! I totally agree with you regarding your make what you want to make philosophy. I never enjoy my projects when I am hampered with requests that hold my creativity back, even someone else picking the colors can make it hard for me to complete a project.

Also I want to know more about the suede...... Please post a picture when you can!

copycat 08-11-2018 02:08 AM

You go girl! A phrase that came to mind from way back when. :)

I am a believer of having fun when I make my projects. Everyone has an opinion and that is fine with me. What is important is you are having fun in the creative process. An art quilt should be an expression of you and your likes. Thanks for sharing a picture of the elephant....turned out amazing!