Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need machine recommendations. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-machine-recommendations-t299323.html)

hilsmom 09-04-2018 07:18 AM

Need machine recommendations.

I have a Brother PQ1500SL and love it, but it's straight stitch only. I am only interested in making lap quilts, throw pillow covers, placemats and runners, and maybe a jelly roll rug or two. I need a second machine for zigzag stitches and for traveling to the quilt shop for classes, but don't want a really expensive one. I also don't want to waste $100 at Walmart on one that won't last long.

What's the best one for around maybe $200 to $300? Should I get an electronic one? Or manual?

Ariannaquilts 09-04-2018 08:43 AM

Evidently the new machines that MSQC now offers is supposed to be pretty good and lightweight enough to take to classes or retreats. I personally have never tried it but I'm not in need of a new machine either. I know there are threads about this machine. I can't remember if the name of it is Ever saw or something like that.

Cari-in-Oly 09-04-2018 09:12 AM

Lots of dealers are now carrying the Eversewn machines. Check around for pricing.

Cari

zozee 09-04-2018 09:14 AM

I've been hearing lots of good things about the Eversewn. If I were in the market for a machine under $400, I would certainly check it out.

Austinite 09-04-2018 09:52 AM

I'm a Janome fan, I have a HD3000, it's full mechanical, and I love it, it's a good sturdy workhorse. I've made bags, clothes, quilts, potholders, tons of things on it. It was my primary machine until I got my Juki 2010 but I still use my Janome for zig zag and basic stuff. My kids like to use it too. I've heard good things about some of the Walmart Brother machines too, my friend has one and really likes it.

hilsmom 09-04-2018 11:44 AM

Thank you all. I also currently have a 25 year old Kenmore. It does about 15 different stitches and has only been used for about 3 hours total. I bought it when my oldest daughter was an infant, and the feed dogs were not installed securely. I didn't know anything about sewing, so I just gave up. The original light bulb still works. Lol! I can use that machine until I decide on a newer one.

The Eversewn Charlotte looks like what I'm needing but I'm unsure about not having a foot pedal.

I'll also check out the Brother machines at Walmart.

Dolphyngyrl 09-04-2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by hilsmom (Post 8121060)
I have a Brother PQ1500SL and love it, but it's straight stitch only. I am only interested in making lap quilts, throw pillow covers, placemats and runners, and maybe a jelly roll rug or two. I need a second machine for zigzag stitches and for traveling to the quilt shop for classes, but don't want a really expensive one. I also don't want to waste $100 at Walmart on one that won't last long.

What's the best one for around maybe $200 to $300? Should I get an electronic one? Or manual?

My walmart brother is going on 8 years with moderate use so don't discount walmart brothers. Mine has been an absolute workhorse. I even thought to get a nicer machine but it has been so amazing why bother and it hasnt even been serviced lol, but i clean after every use

ana1191 09-04-2018 01:57 PM

The Eversewn does have a foot pedal. You have the option of using it or the start/ stop button.

Onebyone 09-04-2018 02:00 PM

I love my Eversewn Sparrow 30. It has every feature I want including auto cutting. It comes with an extension table too. I bought mine from Amazon. Under $400 with free shipping. Missouri Star sells them too.

suern3 09-04-2018 02:19 PM

Leahday.com also sells the Eversewn. I believe she has or does use the machine and has a review of the machine on the website that should be helpful. She also has lots of good quilting lessons.