Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need machine recommendations.

Need machine recommendations.

I have a Brother PQ1500SL and love it, but it's straight stitch only. I am only interested in making lap quilts, throw pillow covers, placemats and runners, and maybe a jelly roll rug or two. I need a second machine for zigzag stitches and for traveling to the quilt shop for classes, but don't want a really expensive one. I also don't want to waste $100 at Walmart on one that won't last long.

What's the best one for around maybe $200 to $300? Should I get an electronic one? Or manual?

Evidently the new machines that MSQC now offers is supposed to be pretty good and lightweight enough to take to classes or retreats. I personally have never tried it but I'm not in need of a new machine either. I know there are threads about this machine. I can't remember if the name of it is Ever saw or something like that.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Banned
    Lots of dealers are now carrying the Eversewn machines. Check around for pricing.

Cari

I've been hearing lots of good things about the Eversewn. If I were in the market for a machine under $400, I would certainly check it out.

I'm a Janome fan, I have a HD3000, it's full mechanical, and I love it, it's a good sturdy workhorse. I've made bags, clothes, quilts, potholders, tons of things on it. It was my primary machine until I got my Juki 2010 but I still use my Janome for zig zag and basic stuff. My kids like to use it too. I've heard good things about some of the Walmart Brother machines too, my friend has one and really likes it.

Thank you all. I also currently have a 25 year old Kenmore. It does about 15 different stitches and has only been used for about 3 hours total. I bought it when my oldest daughter was an infant, and the feed dogs were not installed securely. I didn't know anything about sewing, so I just gave up. The original light bulb still works. Lol! I can use that machine until I decide on a newer one.

The Eversewn Charlotte looks like what I'm needing but I'm unsure about not having a foot pedal.

I'll also check out the Brother machines at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
    I have a Brother PQ1500SL and love it, but it's straight stitch only. I am only interested in making lap quilts, throw pillow covers, placemats and runners, and maybe a jelly roll rug or two. I need a second machine for zigzag stitches and for traveling to the quilt shop for classes, but don't want a really expensive one. I also don't want to waste $100 at Walmart on one that won't last long.

What's the best one for around maybe $200 to $300? Should I get an electronic one? Or manual?
    My walmart brother is going on 8 years with moderate use so don't discount walmart brothers. Mine has been an absolute workhorse. I even thought to get a nicer machine but it has been so amazing why bother and it hasnt even been serviced lol, but i clean after every use
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

The Eversewn does have a foot pedal. You have the option of using it or the start/ stop button.

I love my Eversewn Sparrow 30. It has every feature I want including auto cutting. It comes with an extension table too. I bought mine from Amazon. Under $400 with free shipping. Missouri Star sells them too.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 09-04-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Leahday.com also sells the Eversewn. I believe she has or does use the machine and has a review of the machine on the website that should be helpful. She also has lots of good quilting lessons.

I too have a Brother machine from Walmart that I have had for 8 year now and never had an issue with it! In fact I would sew on my Brother before my Janome, I have a Janome 6500 that I hate, and a Juki that is my favorite by far.
    Lisa

I have several 'Brothers' from Walmart. My first one lasted 8 years, then fell out of the back of the car during a trip. It looked ok on the outside, but apparently had internal injuries. The other Brother machines I own have several years use on them and work fine. I am not a gentle sewer, either. I'm kind of sort of offended by what you said about them simply because they are from Walmart. Don't worry, I'm over it already.

I rarely take my sewing machines out of the house. I found that it was a waste of time for me to take them to guild meetings. I spent so much time talking and working the organization of sit and sews that I did not sew.

No matter what brand sewing machine you buy, keep in mind that if it is 'computerized' and the computer inside the machine fails, your machine will not work unless you replace the 'computer' in it. The manufacturers will not support the model/computer card forever.

Happy hunting!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I love my Eversewn. Light, cute, great for machine applique. You can buy a walking foot, 1/4foot without blade, 1/4 foot with blade, quilting guides, a metal FM foot, and storage box for $30-40 total.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I'm kind of sort of offended by what you said about them simply because they are from Walmart. Don't worry, I'm over it already.
    Lol. I'm very sorry! I just kept researching and hearing/reading over and over again that I shouldn't buy one from there. I'd begun to have Big Box Store anxiety. The Brother I have is wonderful, and was very easy to learn to use, so I'll check out those as well.

I'm very happy to hear several of you say that the less expensive machines hold up well. The less money I can spend on the travel/multi-stitch machine, the more I have left for fabric.

I'm not in the market for a machine but I've read really good things about the Eversewn too.

Just purchased a Janome 49018. Absolutely love it . It’s the quietest machine I’ve ever heard, 12 lbs, beautiful stitches, the bells and whistles that I love. Price about $250.

I would opt for a Janome. Sturdy machines with great warranty....they have a lot to choose from around your price range. As for Walmart machines, I would not purchase there, only because of service or warranty hassles. They had many bad customer complaints on a line of Brother machines several years ago. I suspect they corrected that when the flimsy machine was featured in a newscast. A repair man took the case off to show the non existent frame work...really cheap machine. Check your local dealers, many times they have great machines that are gently used.

I have 4 Brother Walmart varieties machines. Two here, one at each of son's house. Mine are relatively old - one is about 15 years old and the other about 8 years old. they sew through anything and none of them has given me a bit of trouble. Never a tension issue. I think Walmart takes things back with the box and a receipt. My machines have never seen the inside of a repair shop.
    Alyce

Glad to hear people have bought Brother machines from Walmart. I am looking at the brother embroidery770 from there. Does anyone have one? I also have a Janome 6600 that I love!

One thing I like about a discount store, you can take it back and get a refund. Several in my guild has the Brothers from Walmart for taking to classes and one will admit it is her go to machine while her new Bernina 830 is sitting there. LOL She has the Brother cs6000i. Cost her about $150. I would go with the PRW Brother for more features.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I have the Walmart machine that is not the lowest price but the next one up in price. I think it came with 35 stitches. I bought it in 2004, and took it cross country under a greyhound bus, (in a box padded by bath towels) from Texas to northern Washington state. It still works as good as the day I bought it. Unless you are worse that the gorillas who handle baggage for Greyhound, you will be happy with it. I have the model 5130. I also bought one of their way more expensive quilting machines. I spent so much for it, I will never put in in a car to go anywhere except possibly for service. Lol. I am very happy with the Brother brand, they have wonderful customer service too. I would say go for it. Good luck with whatever you chose.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I'm also in the market for a machine to take to classes. Thanks for all your remarks!
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

Blog Entries
    I bought and Eversewn 30. A walking foot is available for quilting. It is lightweight and a light pink color. It has been put through its paces...two crib size quilts, and several other projects since buying it a month ago. No problems. It has 310 stitches (includes alphabets) and a nice stitch. I have 2 FWs, 2Pfaffs and 1 Janome. The Eversewn is every bit as good as any of these and is reasonable priced. I bought it because I don't want to take my FWs on the road for classes.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

My Walmart machines have too small of a throat for me. I could do piecing but I already have a baby lock Jane I use for piecing and straight stitch quilting. I have a Juki TL98QE Straight stitch only I mainly use for FMQ Quilting, I like the foot pedal than BL Jane. I could and have used each for everything but I want to be able to use each. Juki since 2008 and BL since 2010, never been in the shop.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Brother XL3750 from target. Comes with lots of accessories and a nice big bed. Small throat though. I've had mine for 7+ yrs and no problems. Light weight to carry also. Does like 25 stitches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast