Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Pattern Identification (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-pattern-identification-t303976.html)

DFlint 04-01-2019 08:13 PM

Quilt Pattern Identification

1 Attachment(s)
Purchased these 16 patch blocks made up of squares and half square triangles. When put together with the drawing they look like butterflies. Just finished hand quilting and binding this king size quilt and was wondering if anyone knows the pattern?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]611138[/ATTACH]

maryb119 04-02-2019 03:49 AM

I don't know the pattern but I like it.

Barb in Louisiana 04-02-2019 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I, too, don't know the pattern, but I did outline the two alternating blocks in the quilt. They are built on a 16 part grid, so would work as 4, 8, 12, or 16 inch blocks easily.

nativetexan 04-02-2019 07:35 AM

thanks, now i see them both well.

Barb in Louisiana 04-02-2019 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like to play in EQ7. I realized after looking at the quilt more that they made the butterflies by careful placement of color fabrics within the blocks. This is some eye candy in 12 inch blocks, with a 6x12 inch side blocks and 6 inch square corner blocks. I like color but cannot do uncontrolled scrappy. This is controlled and carefully, sort of, thought out. I would make this quilt, even though I would have to think out my color placement prior to starting. My rows were 4 blocks wide. To complete all the butterflies, the rows have to be an even number wide & in length.

costumegirl 04-02-2019 08:21 AM

Variation of "Broken Dishes"? - dependent on color placement
http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BrokenDishesBlock.html

QuiltE 04-02-2019 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 8234702)
I like to play in EQ7. I realized after looking at the quilt more that they made the butterflies by careful placement of color fabrics within the blocks. This is some eye candy in 12 inch blocks, with a 6x12 inch side blocks and 6 inch square corner blocks. I like color but cannot do uncontrolled scrappy. This is controlled and carefully, sort of, thought out. I would make this quilt, even though I would have to think out my color placement prior to starting. My rows were 4 blocks wide. To complete all the butterflies, the rows have to be an even number wide & in length.

BarbInLouisiana .... I always love seeing the results of your "play"!!
Very generous of you, and it helps us to see what we may not be seeing otherwise.
Are you for hire, when I am stumped? :)

Barb in Louisiana 04-02-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8234966)
BarbInLouisiana .... I always love seeing the results of your "play"!!
Very generous of you, and it helps us to see what we may not be seeing otherwise.
Are you for hire, when I am stumped? :)

I'm glad you like my "Playing". I work cheap and free. "smile" I just like the challenge of trying to dissect a quilt and find the blocks. Then the fun begins in EQ7. Mostly I can solve the pattern and that's just fun creating my version of what I see. I have sewn a couple of them. I like this one a lot. It's on my list now.

QuiltE 04-03-2019 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 8235090)
I'm glad you like my "Playing". I work cheap and free. "smile" I just like the challenge of trying to dissect a quilt and find the blocks. Then the fun begins in EQ7. Mostly I can solve the pattern and that's just fun creating my version of what I see. I have sewn a couple of them. I like this one a lot. It's on my list now.

I'm with you all the way on the playing, dissecting, and figuring out.
No EQ .... to put things back together again when I want to figure something out!
........ I have a long memory, and you may be sorry! :):)

DFlint 04-04-2019 09:35 PM

Hovering Hawks

Thank you for letting me know that this pattern is from the Civil War Album known as Hovering Hawks. First published by Ruth Finley 1929.

[QUOTE=DFlint;8234488]Purchased these 16 patch blocks made up of squares and half square triangles. When put together with the drawing they look like butterflies. Just finished hand quilting and binding this king size quilt and was wondering if anyone knows the pattern?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]611138[/ATTACH]
Hovering Hawks done in mauves and pinks.