Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Pattern Identification

Blog Entries

Quilt Pattern Identification

Purchased these 16 patch blocks made up of squares and half square triangles. When put together with the drawing they look like butterflies. Just finished hand quilting and binding this king size quilt and was wondering if anyone knows the pattern?
    Name:  IMGP6874.JPG
Views: 1448
Size:  1.90 MB

I don't know the pattern but I like it.

I, too, don't know the pattern, but I did outline the two alternating blocks in the quilt. They are built on a 16 part grid, so would work as 4, 8, 12, or 16 inch blocks easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    thanks, now i see them both well.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I like to play in EQ7. I realized after looking at the quilt more that they made the butterflies by careful placement of color fabrics within the blocks. This is some eye candy in 12 inch blocks, with a 6x12 inch side blocks and 6 inch square corner blocks. I like color but cannot do uncontrolled scrappy. This is controlled and carefully, sort of, thought out. I would make this quilt, even though I would have to think out my color placement prior to starting. My rows were 4 blocks wide. To complete all the butterflies, the rows have to be an even number wide & in length.
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-02-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Variation of "Broken Dishes"? - dependent on color placement
    http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BrokenDishesBlock.html
    Deb

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I like to play in EQ7. I realized after looking at the quilt more that they made the butterflies by careful placement of color fabrics within the blocks. This is some eye candy in 12 inch blocks, with a 6x12 inch side blocks and 6 inch square corner blocks. I like color but cannot do uncontrolled scrappy. This is controlled and carefully, sort of, thought out. I would make this quilt, even though I would have to think out my color placement prior to starting. My rows were 4 blocks wide. To complete all the butterflies, the rows have to be an even number wide & in length.
    BarbInLouisiana .... I always love seeing the results of your "play"!!
    Very generous of you, and it helps us to see what we may not be seeing otherwise.
    Are you for hire, when I am stumped?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    BarbInLouisiana .... I always love seeing the results of your "play"!!
    Very generous of you, and it helps us to see what we may not be seeing otherwise.
    Are you for hire, when I am stumped?
    I'm glad you like my "Playing". I work cheap and free. "smile" I just like the challenge of trying to dissect a quilt and find the blocks. Then the fun begins in EQ7. Mostly I can solve the pattern and that's just fun creating my version of what I see. I have sewn a couple of them. I like this one a lot. It's on my list now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I'm glad you like my "Playing". I work cheap and free. "smile" I just like the challenge of trying to dissect a quilt and find the blocks. Then the fun begins in EQ7. Mostly I can solve the pattern and that's just fun creating my version of what I see. I have sewn a couple of them. I like this one a lot. It's on my list now.
    I'm with you all the way on the playing, dissecting, and figuring out.
    No EQ .... to put things back together again when I want to figure something out!
    ........ I have a long memory, and you may be sorry!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries

Hovering Hawks

Thank you for letting me know that this pattern is from the Civil War Album known as Hovering Hawks. First published by Ruth Finley 1929.

[QUOTE=DFlint;8234488]Purchased these 16 patch blocks made up of squares and half square triangles. When put together with the drawing they look like butterflies. Just finished hand quilting and binding this king size quilt and was wondering if anyone knows the pattern?
    Name:  IMGP6874.JPG
Views: 1448
Size:  1.90 MB
    Hovering Hawks done in mauves and pinks.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-05-2019 at 02:37 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link

Thanks for the black outline . . it helped me 'see'!
    =-)

Blog Entries
    Got to say...Love when patterns are converted in EQ7...or 8....Helps my brain figure it all out.

This quilt block is similar to Hovering Hawks, but not quite there. I've attached the Hovering Hawks block, what we'll call the Butterflies block, and an EQ quilt using the Butterflies block. The Butterflies block is actually really easy; I used an 8" block and did a 6 x 6 grid.

Last edited by LyndaOH; 04-08-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: to use JPGs instead of PDFs