Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Three generation quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/three-generation-quilt-t304649.html)

eimay 05-10-2019 10:06 PM

Three generation quilt

Let me start by saying I’m 71. I’m finishing two butterfly appliqué quilts started by my grandmother. My mother was going to finish them. I inherited some blocks completed by my grandmother, my mother and some butterflies cut with some muslin squares that were not sewn. I’ve completed the appliqué and have put the blocks together with repro lattice. I plan to give them to my two daughters for Christmas. As I look at examples of quilts from the original era, I notice most of them do not have borders, but are bound at the edge. Am I correct in figuring my quilts would look more authentic without borders? Also, should I tie or quilt them? Thanks in advance for any comments.

JustAbitCrazy 05-10-2019 10:53 PM

I think your quilts would look more authentic without borders. And I would definitely quilt them, not tie them. Tied quilts do not last as long as quilted quilts. It's awesome you are completing these for your daughters.

Rhonda K 05-11-2019 04:11 AM

What a great project you have to finish those quilts. I can just imagine those special hands working on them across time.

You could go either with or without borders. No borders to reflect the past Or borders to reflect current times.

Tartan 05-11-2019 04:26 AM

If the fabric is fragile then borders will help preserve the block edges. I would quilt them, not tie them.

luvstoquilt 05-11-2019 04:37 AM

I agree with Tartan. Also, I own several quilts from the 1930’s and some have borders.(green, blue or bubblegum pink). Personally I think the border makes the blocks stand out more.

SusieQOH 05-11-2019 05:09 AM

I can't wait to see the finished quilt. How wonderful that it will be from 3 generations! Please show us when you can.
I would quilt it. It would be great to hand quilt, if that's something you do, but machine quilting would be fine also.

TheMerkleFamily 05-11-2019 05:25 AM

Since this has been a quilt in process for three generations I think it would be wonderful for you to ‘finish it’ in the style that you like the best contributing your influence to your mother and grandmothers efforts. No rules just what you like best and be sure to document the story for future generations so they understand the history!

Cant wait to see your finished masterpiece!

Jordan 05-11-2019 06:15 AM

What a treasure this will be for your daughters. If I remember right I have seen quilts from that era with borders. Some of them are green or pink. I would suggest your quilts be quilted not tied and if you like to hand quilt that would be even better but at least they should be quilted some way. So anxious to see your beauties when you have time to post a picture.

eimay 05-11-2019 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 8251637)
I think your quilts would look more authentic without borders. And I would definitely quilt them, not tie them. Tied quilts do not last as long as quilted quilts. It's awesome you are completing these for your daughters.

Do you have any suggestions for quilting?

IrishMom 05-11-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily (Post 8251743)
Since this has been a quilt in process for three generations I think it would be wonderful for you to ‘finish it’ in the style that you like the best contributing your influence to your mother and grandmothers efforts. No rules just what you like best and be sure to document the story for future generations so they understand the history!

Cant wait to see your finished masterpiece!

I agree with Merkle! Your touch should be included as well. And I also think Tartan has a good point -- adding a border, whether narrow or wide will help with the integrity of the quilt.