Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Three generation quilt >
  • Three generation quilt

• Three generation quilt

Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 PM

Arrow Three generation quilt

Let me start by saying I’m 71. I’m finishing two butterfly appliqué quilts started by my grandmother. My mother was going to finish them. I inherited some blocks completed by my grandmother, my mother and some butterflies cut with some muslin squares that were not sewn. I’ve completed the appliqué and have put the blocks together with repro lattice. I plan to give them to my two daughters for Christmas. As I look at examples of quilts from the original era, I notice most of them do not have borders, but are bound at the edge. Am I correct in figuring my quilts would look more authentic without borders? Also, should I tie or quilt them? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Last edited by eimay; 05-10-2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Left out part of the question
    Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 PM

I think your quilts would look more authentic without borders. And I would definitely quilt them, not tie them. Tied quilts do not last as long as quilted quilts. It's awesome you are completing these for your daughters.
    Old 05-11-2019, 04:11 AM

What a great project you have to finish those quilts. I can just imagine those special hands working on them across time.

You could go either with or without borders. No borders to reflect the past Or borders to reflect current times.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-11-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 05-11-2019, 04:26 AM
    Power Poster

If the fabric is fragile then borders will help preserve the block edges. I would quilt them, not tie them.
    Old 05-11-2019, 04:37 AM

I agree with Tartan. Also, I own several quilts from the 1930’s and some have borders.(green, blue or bubblegum pink). Personally I think the border makes the blocks stand out more.
    Old 05-11-2019, 05:09 AM
    Power Poster

I can't wait to see the finished quilt. How wonderful that it will be from 3 generations! Please show us when you can.
    I would quilt it. It would be great to hand quilt, if that's something you do, but machine quilting would be fine also.
    Old 05-11-2019, 05:25 AM

Since this has been a quilt in process for three generations I think it would be wonderful for you to ‘finish it’ in the style that you like the best contributing your influence to your mother and grandmothers efforts. No rules just what you like best and be sure to document the story for future generations so they understand the history!

Cant wait to see your finished masterpiece!
    Old 05-11-2019, 06:15 AM

What a treasure this will be for your daughters. If I remember right I have seen quilts from that era with borders. Some of them are green or pink. I would suggest your quilts be quilted not tied and if you like to hand quilt that would be even better but at least they should be quilted some way. So anxious to see your beauties when you have time to post a picture.
    Old 05-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy
    I think your quilts would look more authentic without borders. And I would definitely quilt them, not tie them. Tied quilts do not last as long as quilted quilts. It's awesome you are completing these for your daughters.
    Do you have any suggestions for quilting?
    Old 05-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily
    Since this has been a quilt in process for three generations I think it would be wonderful for you to ‘finish it’ in the style that you like the best contributing your influence to your mother and grandmothers efforts. No rules just what you like best and be sure to document the story for future generations so they understand the history!

Cant wait to see your finished masterpiece!
    I agree with Merkle! Your touch should be included as well. And I also think Tartan has a good point -- adding a border, whether narrow or wide will help with the integrity of the quilt.