Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Three generation quilt

Arrow Three generation quilt

Let me start by saying I’m 71. I’m finishing two butterfly appliqué quilts started by my grandmother. My mother was going to finish them. I inherited some blocks completed by my grandmother, my mother and some butterflies cut with some muslin squares that were not sewn. I’ve completed the appliqué and have put the blocks together with repro lattice. I plan to give them to my two daughters for Christmas. As I look at examples of quilts from the original era, I notice most of them do not have borders, but are bound at the edge. Am I correct in figuring my quilts would look more authentic without borders? Also, should I tie or quilt them? Thanks in advance for any comments.
    Last edited by eimay; 05-10-2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Left out part of the question

I think your quilts would look more authentic without borders. And I would definitely quilt them, not tie them. Tied quilts do not last as long as quilted quilts. It's awesome you are completing these for your daughters.

What a great project you have to finish those quilts. I can just imagine those special hands working on them across time.

You could go either with or without borders. No borders to reflect the past Or borders to reflect current times.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-11-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Power Poster
    If the fabric is fragile then borders will help preserve the block edges. I would quilt them, not tie them.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Tartan. Also, I own several quilts from the 1930’s and some have borders.(green, blue or bubblegum pink). Personally I think the border makes the blocks stand out more.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I can't wait to see the finished quilt. How wonderful that it will be from 3 generations! Please show us when you can.
    I would quilt it. It would be great to hand quilt, if that's something you do, but machine quilting would be fine also.

Since this has been a quilt in process for three generations I think it would be wonderful for you to ‘finish it’ in the style that you like the best contributing your influence to your mother and grandmothers efforts. No rules just what you like best and be sure to document the story for future generations so they understand the history!

Cant wait to see your finished masterpiece!
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

What a treasure this will be for your daughters. If I remember right I have seen quilts from that era with borders. Some of them are green or pink. I would suggest your quilts be quilted not tied and if you like to hand quilt that would be even better but at least they should be quilted some way. So anxious to see your beauties when you have time to post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    I think your quilts would look more authentic without borders. And I would definitely quilt them, not tie them. Tied quilts do not last as long as quilted quilts. It's awesome you are completing these for your daughters.
    Do you have any suggestions for quilting?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
    Since this has been a quilt in process for three generations I think it would be wonderful for you to ‘finish it’ in the style that you like the best contributing your influence to your mother and grandmothers efforts. No rules just what you like best and be sure to document the story for future generations so they understand the history!

Cant wait to see your finished masterpiece!
    I agree with Merkle! Your touch should be included as well. And I also think Tartan has a good point -- adding a border, whether narrow or wide will help with the integrity of the quilt.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I repaired a quilt first made by my niece’s great-grandmother. It was a Lemoyne Star with about 6” mint green borders. So it is your choice. Quilters have always done it their way. I also have a Turkey Tracks feed sack quilt pieced and sewed on a machine by my aunt born in 1904. And another she hand pieced and tied. There are no rules.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

You are so lucky to have them. Your Daughters will be so thrilled to get them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by eimay View Post
    Do you have any suggestions for quilting?
    Will you be hand or machine quilting them? Let me know and I'll see what vintage examples I can find for you, if you want authenticity.

The Baptist Fan is an old quilting pattern from that era.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

My thinking is that the quilts of that era were mostly hand quilted and the quilting was in a style that highlighted the piecing--not the "pantograph" style that LA quilters of today use. Most of what I remember being tied were comforts, not pieced quilts. To me a comfort is perhaps simply squares pieced together and tied at the corners--utility type bed coverings.

This was a quilt top that belonged to my Great Aunt. ca. 1930. I was very excited when it was gifted to me in September 2018. I designed the quilting pattern and yes, I longarmed it. (Custom, not panto). Most important is the fact that it is finished and has great sentimental value to me.

I recommend you finish your quilt top as you wish and not worry about it. My quilt is now technically a ca. 2019 quilt..... :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ellen 1; 05-12-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ellen, this is a beautiful quilt
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Way back when, quilts were hand quilted or tied. No machine quilting. You have many suggestions here, so have fun choosing, and enjoy what ever the final choice gives you.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    I agree with Tartan. Also, I own several quilts from the 1930’s and some have borders.(green, blue or bubblegum pink). Personally I think the border makes the blocks stand out more.
    I agree. I have a few vintage quilts that all happen to have borders, but I'm not sure about their age and I don't have an applique quilt. I tend to think that quilters had a lot of leeway to border or not based on how big they wanted their quilts to be and how much matching fabric was available. There may have been other influences like what part of the country they lived in and the habits of their particular quilt group. I don't think you'd be doing it wrong either way, and anyway, your generation counts, too, in this process.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Ellen, this is a beautiful quilt
    Thank you. I hope this was inspiration to eimay to enjoy whatever the process she decides on.

I think hand quilting , in keeping with the original era, would be most appropriate if you don't have arthritis.