Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What's on your Christmas list? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/whats-your-christmas-list-t308141.html)

Mkotch 11-20-2019 06:59 AM

What's on your Christmas list?

My DH and son love to give me gadgets that they think I "need." After getting a few that I really didn't need, I decided to make a "wish list" on Amazon so they could choose something I actually wanted. This year, I have put a couple of donut baking pans on my list. I'm curious what you all might put on yours?

bearisgray 11-20-2019 07:09 AM

Can't think of anything I really want that can be purchased at a store.

It did take me a ridiculously long time to figure out that it was okay - practical - smart - to actually make a detailed, very specific, wish list for something I wanted. Also include approximate prices and where it can be purchased/obtained.

For example: I wanted a manual Hiker Grommet Press with a #1 die and nickel, brass, and black grommets.

How would anyone know I wanted that without being told?

Not many stores in my area have them available at 11:30 PM on Christmas eve.

I did get money to apply to that purchase!

At one time, my thinking was "If 'they" love me, 'they' will know what I want.

Well, if I did not know exactly what 'they' might want - it finally dawned on me that 'they' might not know exatly what I might want.

I do kind of want to get the size 0 die and grommets to go with it, but I haven't really used the grommet press all that much - but I am happy to have it

PS - If money is in short supply, be reasonable /sensible- both in what one wants - and in what one can spend on others.

PPS - I do like to get something that is not on the list that shows thoughtfulness on the part of the giver.

Example: A drawing of my cat that could be framed.

Not so appreciated: a coffee maker when I do not drink coffee.

bearisgray 11-20-2019 07:21 AM

As long as I am on a roll here -

I think it might even be helpful to list what you do not want or need -

or if it's something you want, that you would prefer to pick out for yourself.

I also think it's okay - in some circumstances, only - to ask for money towards a big ticket item.

Doggramma 11-20-2019 07:39 AM

Well that sounds like a good idea. Then you get what you want. I’m hoping for a Nespresso machine - I’ve already dropped hints.

DJ 11-20-2019 07:51 AM

I send emails to "Santa" and will include links. They are usually small stocking stuffer items. I do need some sewing machine bobbins this year. I'm sure he can handle that.

I also requested a mini blue-tooth speaker that can be used for cell phone calls. Some of them can't be used with calls for whatever techy reason.

It seems like I have already asked for something else, but I don't remember what, so if/when I get it, I will be surprised!

my-ty 11-20-2019 07:55 AM

Bear, I do agree with your points, but I have a hang-up about wish lists, registries and gifts. When did wish lists become shopping lists and not suggestions? When did gifts become receiver decides what they receive? I miss the thoughtfulness and caring that is put into gift selection. To me, the expectation that you will receive everything from your wish list, decreases the joy of giving.

Tartan 11-20-2019 08:00 AM

There really isn’t anything I want for myself for Christmas. I can hope for Peace on Earth but I won’t hold my breath.

bearisgray 11-20-2019 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by my-ty (Post 8329744)
Bear, I do agree with your points, but I have a hang-up about wish lists, registries and gifts. When did wish lists become shopping lists and not suggestions? When did gifts become receiver decides what they receive? I miss the thoughtfulness and caring that is put into gift selection. To me, the expectation that you will receive everything from your wish list, decreases the joy of giving.

I also agree with what you say. When I look at a gift registry, I can sometimes get more of an idea of what the people are like. But that does not mean that I will get anything that is on the list. If they want Pattern A for dishes, and I can't afford it, they won't get any of it. But I might try to get something that has a similar feel/flavor/color that might coordinate with it.

Any ideas of how to make both points of view "work"?

SusieQOH 11-20-2019 02:11 PM

That's a good idea. My kids had a list on Amazon before my granddaughter was born and it made buying what she needed a lot easier for people, me included!

Myty- your point is a good one. I guess it depends on the situation. With our granddaughter it just made sense. But that doesn't mean she didn't get other things. I especially can't stop making her things!! :)

aashley333 11-20-2019 02:40 PM

My daughter loves her pasta maker and attachments!