Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's on your Christmas list?

What's on your Christmas list?

My DH and son love to give me gadgets that they think I "need." After getting a few that I really didn't need, I decided to make a "wish list" on Amazon so they could choose something I actually wanted. This year, I have put a couple of donut baking pans on my list. I'm curious what you all might put on yours?

Power Poster
    Can't think of anything I really want that can be purchased at a store.

It did take me a ridiculously long time to figure out that it was okay - practical - smart - to actually make a detailed, very specific, wish list for something I wanted. Also include approximate prices and where it can be purchased/obtained.

For example: I wanted a manual Hiker Grommet Press with a #1 die and nickel, brass, and black grommets.

How would anyone know I wanted that without being told?

Not many stores in my area have them available at 11:30 PM on Christmas eve.

I did get money to apply to that purchase!

At one time, my thinking was "If 'they" love me, 'they' will know what I want.

Well, if I did not know exactly what 'they' might want - it finally dawned on me that 'they' might not know exatly what I might want.

I do kind of want to get the size 0 die and grommets to go with it, but I haven't really used the grommet press all that much - but I am happy to have it

PS - If money is in short supply, be reasonable /sensible- both in what one wants - and in what one can spend on others.

PPS - I do like to get something that is not on the list that shows thoughtfulness on the part of the giver.

Example: A drawing of my cat that could be framed.

Not so appreciated: a coffee maker when I do not drink coffee.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 11-20-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Power Poster
    As long as I am on a roll here -

I think it might even be helpful to list what you do not want or need -

or if it's something you want, that you would prefer to pick out for yourself.

I also think it's okay - in some circumstances, only - to ask for money towards a big ticket item.

Well that sounds like a good idea. Then you get what you want. I’m hoping for a Nespresso machine - I’ve already dropped hints.
    Lori

DJ
    I send emails to "Santa" and will include links. They are usually small stocking stuffer items. I do need some sewing machine bobbins this year. I'm sure he can handle that.

I also requested a mini blue-tooth speaker that can be used for cell phone calls. Some of them can't be used with calls for whatever techy reason.

It seems like I have already asked for something else, but I don't remember what, so if/when I get it, I will be surprised!

Bear, I do agree with your points, but I have a hang-up about wish lists, registries and gifts. When did wish lists become shopping lists and not suggestions? When did gifts become receiver decides what they receive? I miss the thoughtfulness and caring that is put into gift selection. To me, the expectation that you will receive everything from your wish list, decreases the joy of giving.

Power Poster
    There really isn’t anything I want for myself for Christmas. I can hope for Peace on Earth but I won’t hold my breath.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
    Bear, I do agree with your points, but I have a hang-up about wish lists, registries and gifts. When did wish lists become shopping lists and not suggestions? When did gifts become receiver decides what they receive? I miss the thoughtfulness and caring that is put into gift selection. To me, the expectation that you will receive everything from your wish list, decreases the joy of giving.
    I also agree with what you say. When I look at a gift registry, I can sometimes get more of an idea of what the people are like. But that does not mean that I will get anything that is on the list. If they want Pattern A for dishes, and I can't afford it, they won't get any of it. But I might try to get something that has a similar feel/flavor/color that might coordinate with it.

Any ideas of how to make both points of view "work"?

That's a good idea. My kids had a list on Amazon before my granddaughter was born and it made buying what she needed a lot easier for people, me included!

Myty- your point is a good one. I guess it depends on the situation. With our granddaughter it just made sense. But that doesn't mean she didn't get other things. I especially can't stop making her things!!
    Last edited by SusieQOH; 11-20-2019 at 02:14 PM.

My daughter loves her pasta maker and attachments!

Quote Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
    My daughter loves her pasta maker and attachments!
    I love mine too! Got at Costco with extended dies. It is awesome, allows me to make "healthy" pasta. Anyone who reads my posts at all may sense a pattern in me that if Costco doesn't sell it, I don't need it ;-).

What for Christmas? Someone I trust to do the taxes for the estate where I'm executor. In other words, peace on my earth. As executor, I pretty much don't sleep anymore....
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

We don't celebrate Christmas because we are Jewish, but, whenever gift giving comes up I always say "Do Not Get me aBread Maker" because before you know it I will be on "My 600 Pound Life" and someone will be taking the wall out of the house to get me out on a giant gurney!!! If I had a bread maker I would bake/eat/bake/eat. Not good!!
    Alyce

We don't do the Christmas shopping frenzy and celebrate with a nice family dinner. Dson will install a new mail box for us.

The gifts for DGS (3 years old) were ordered this morning. All dinosaur related; a play mat, pop up book, another reading book, an adventure vest, and a play barn. Shopping is done for us.

I just got 3 new qubes of dies last month. I'll order the next 2 this month. All is good in my sewing world.

I want a massage chair.... https://www.primemassagechairs.com/p...CABEgKJhvD_BwE

When we win the lottery......

Santa, don't bring me a breadmaker!!! I'll end up weighing a ton!
    I could live on bread lol

I've been convincing myself I need a nice stock pot for some time. I've put it on my list of things to look for at the thrift stores and haven't found the right one yet but I might just buy myself a new one. At the very least the smaller one at Costco but it could be a bigger or better one.

I've been using my old aluminum/not stainless canning kettle for all this water boiling and dying I've been doing. Aluminum is not stainless! The pot is old and dented and doesn't sit evenly and mostly we used it for boiling entire boxes of pasta at a time. We no longer boil pasta and after all this stuff I've been doing I've declared the big pan no longer for food use.

I do, however, make wonderful stock and will be having turkey carcasses to deal with...
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Blog Entries
    I am asking Santa to get me two Quilter Select Rulers. I would love an Accuquilt cutting system but I am afraid that is not in the budget. I love any gadgets that have to do with sewing or quilting. (not that I have enough). Being a quilt -a-holic is a dangerous and fun thing. Nothing is to small or to large for this quilter.

I want new carpeting in my sewing room or maybe vinyl plank......
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Santa, don't bring me a breadmaker!!! I'll end up weighing a ton!
    I could live on bread lol
    Want mine? I have not used it in years.....no more appliances for me! No insta pot, no air fryer, maybe a new crock pot tho! Lol!
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Want mine? I have not used it in years.....no more appliances for me! No insta pot, no air fryer, maybe a new crock pot tho! Lol!
    Ha! No, I refuse to get one. My weight is bad enough as it is

I love gifts from my boys. They always buy something that says "me". Not Mom. I love that.

I was asked by dh what I wanted for Christmas......and I told him!! A trug please.. he went right out and built one for me. No bending down gardening!! Plus I to would like Peace on Earth..but like Tartan won't hold my breath either.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

I bought myself a KitchenAid stand mixer a couple of months ago. That was my big gift to me for Christmas, but I would love a donut baking pan and a scone pan. I need to get those on my Amazon wish list.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

I have found that if I give hints, or outright list of things that I want, then I am guaranteed NOT to get them. It's like they put it on their list of, "things not to get Mom." :P

~ C

I am thinking about a new chair to use at the sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    A phone call from my son would be nice. I don't need anything, really. Hubs has asked what I want so I told him a nice flannel top sheet and a purse size perfume. It's not a strong scent, and sometimes it's just nice to "freshen up" when one is out. That's it. No grandchildren, so it's easy for us.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast