Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   peddle machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/peddle-machine-t36387.html)

Pat41 02-08-2010 04:57 PM

I would like to know why the peddle machine has become popular. I
inherited my Grandmothers 1908 Minnesota sewing machine, she and I are
the only ones ever to sew on it. The cost was $14.98, the
attachments .75 and freight .45 a total cost of $16.18 and she paid
for it by making dresses and selling them for $2.00. With all the new
machines in this world why use the peddle machine?

Would love to know the answer to this.

Shiloh 02-08-2010 05:27 PM

I can't imagine. I am in my mid-60s and learned on a treadle machine (and sewed my index finger) when I was a kid. I have an old treadle in my basement (my husband's grandmother's machine) and I wouldn't think of using it. I love love love my Viking. Perfect stitch and a joy to use. Gerry

ScrapQuilter 02-08-2010 05:30 PM

Think it's because everyone wants to see how it was to sew on a machine like that........A blast from the past... I have 2 - my grandmothers and one my brother-in-law found at a garage sale... both is working condition. My grandmother's is a Singer in mint condition and the other one is a Climax in very good condition and they are both in their original cabinets. That is the kind of machine l learned to sew on.... well not a have dated myself too. LOL
My granddaughter has asked if she can try sewing on it.... guess it intrigues everyone. There is something tobe said about getting the rythem of the peddle going.
Can post a pic of both if you are interested.

omak 02-08-2010 05:34 PM

because electrical power is not an absolute guarantee. <wave>

Dragonfly Nana 02-08-2010 05:35 PM

I also have an old singer treddle machine. IMHO it is easier to control the needle speed since you are pumping the treddle. I just started to use mine to do my FMQ. I am learning so I need to stop and start a lot.

Charlee 02-08-2010 05:48 PM

You sound like my hubby! ;) :)

It's the nostalgic feeling behind using a machine that our grandmothers and great grandmothers used...wanting to experience a simplier time of our history...

I love using the treadle...

littlehud 02-08-2010 06:58 PM

I would love to have one. Just to feel what is was like when my Grandma made her wonderful quilts. When my mom got her last quilt in the mail it was one of the few times I saw her cry.

pam1966 02-08-2010 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by omak
because electrical power is not an absolute guarantee. <wave>

That right there is a good point!

I think it would be neat to have one. My sewing on it would probably look terrible, but I would have fun!

Moonpi 02-08-2010 07:28 PM

I have heard rumors it produces buns of steel.

Lostn51 02-08-2010 07:47 PM

Well here I go on my soapbox again LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only machines I use are treadles, in fact my studio is set up with a central treadle that I can use a wide variety of machines on. All I have to do is change the wooden plates in the bench and I can use which ever machine I want. Then I have all of my treadles that are in my home with machines in them.

The reason I like them so much is because the quilts that are made on them you can see and feel the love in them. It is like time stopped and I am back in the late 1800's to early 1900's creating a piece of living history. And the looks you get when you give a quilt that was sewn on a machine that is over 100years old is priceless. Its like they are in possession of something extremely valuable and precious.

Another reason I use nothing but treadles is that the machines are better made than anything that is out there today and if I want all of the fancy stitches or features I have accessories for that. For me its a way of life hence my screen name, I was born a few generations past where I should have been.

Another reason they are catching on again is the fact that there is no carbon footprint and its Eco friendly.

Billy