Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: peddle machine

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3
    I would like to know why the peddle machine has become popular. I
    inherited my Grandmothers 1908 Minnesota sewing machine, she and I are
    the only ones ever to sew on it. The cost was $14.98, the
    attachments .75 and freight .45 a total cost of $16.18 and she paid
    for it by making dresses and selling them for $2.00. With all the new
    machines in this world why use the peddle machine?

    Would love to know the answer to this.

  2. #2
    Junior Member Shiloh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    154
    I can't imagine. I am in my mid-60s and learned on a treadle machine (and sewed my index finger) when I was a kid. I have an old treadle in my basement (my husband's grandmother's machine) and I wouldn't think of using it. I love love love my Viking. Perfect stitch and a joy to use. Gerry

  3. #3
    Super Member ScrapQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,113
    Think it's because everyone wants to see how it was to sew on a machine like that........A blast from the past... I have 2 - my grandmothers and one my brother-in-law found at a garage sale... both is working condition. My grandmother's is a Singer in mint condition and the other one is a Climax in very good condition and they are both in their original cabinets. That is the kind of machine l learned to sew on.... well not a have dated myself too. LOL
    My granddaughter has asked if she can try sewing on it.... guess it intrigues everyone. There is something tobe said about getting the rythem of the peddle going.
    Can post a pic of both if you are interested.

  4. #4
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    because electrical power is not an absolute guarantee.

  5. #5
    Super Member Dragonfly Nana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    inland part of Virginia Beach
    Posts
    2,715
    I also have an old singer treddle machine. IMHO it is easier to control the needle speed since you are pumping the treddle. I just started to use mine to do my FMQ. I am learning so I need to stop and start a lot.

  6. #6
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    You sound like my hubby! ;) :)

    It's the nostalgic feeling behind using a machine that our grandmothers and great grandmothers used...wanting to experience a simplier time of our history...

    I love using the treadle...

  7. #7
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I would love to have one. Just to feel what is was like when my Grandma made her wonderful quilts. When my mom got her last quilt in the mail it was one of the few times I saw her cry.

  8. #8
    Senior Member pam1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    because electrical power is not an absolute guarantee.
    That right there is a good point!

    I think it would be neat to have one. My sewing on it would probably look terrible, but I would have fun!

  9. #9
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    I have heard rumors it produces buns of steel.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Well here I go on my soapbox again LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

    The only machines I use are treadles, in fact my studio is set up with a central treadle that I can use a wide variety of machines on. All I have to do is change the wooden plates in the bench and I can use which ever machine I want. Then I have all of my treadles that are in my home with machines in them.

    The reason I like them so much is because the quilts that are made on them you can see and feel the love in them. It is like time stopped and I am back in the late 1800's to early 1900's creating a piece of living history. And the looks you get when you give a quilt that was sewn on a machine that is over 100years old is priceless. Its like they are in possession of something extremely valuable and precious.

    Another reason I use nothing but treadles is that the machines are better made than anything that is out there today and if I want all of the fancy stitches or features I have accessories for that. For me its a way of life hence my screen name, I was born a few generations past where I should have been.

    Another reason they are catching on again is the fact that there is no carbon footprint and its Eco friendly.


    Billy

  11. #11
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I have heard rumors it produces buns of steel.
    WOOHOO! I could LIVE with that! LOL

  12. #12
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Billy!
    I think your point about them being better made than anything on the markets nowadays is just about one of the best reasons to own one! With machine cleaning/repair costing upwards of $60 per machine .... doesn't it make good sense to own a machine you can repair easily, with less hassle?
    I totally reject the computer machines (barely trust a digital display ), but when the electricity goes out, where will those machines be?
    Don't misunderstand - - I consider modern technology a gift and for those that make such good use of them, I bow to your superior manipulation of machines .... but, I would really like to keep sewing when/if my electrical machines become less than reliable

  13. #13
    Junior Member ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    out in the heat
    Posts
    162
    For me and my girl friends it started in1999, with the millinium coming and Now I have 4 and she has 2 TREADLES and to begin with we had to search our brains on what granny's sewing machine was called that didn't run on electric. And I fully agree that the electric is not that reliable. So at least we have our Treadle Power!!! :thumbup:

  14. #14
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Well here I go on my soapbox again LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

    The only machines I use are treadles, in fact my studio is set up with a central treadle that I can use a wide variety of machines on. All I have to do is change the wooden plates in the bench and I can use which ever machine I want. Then I have all of my treadles that are in my home with machines in them.

    The reason I like them so much is because the quilts that are made on them you can see and feel the love in them. It is like time stopped and I am back in the late 1800's to early 1900's creating a piece of living history. And the looks you get when you give a quilt that was sewn on a machine that is over 100years old is priceless. Its like they are in possession of something extremely valuable and precious.

    Another reason I use nothing but treadles is that the machines are better made than anything that is out there today and if I want all of the fancy stitches or features I have accessories for that. For me its a way of life hence my screen name, I was born a few generations past where I should have been.

    Another reason they are catching on again is the fact that there is no carbon footprint and its Eco friendly.


    Billy
    {{{{APPLAUSE}}}}

  15. #15
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,889
    No power during the day = sewing on a treadle.
    No power at nite (nuh uh, don't go there) means sewing by the light of candle or your generator. My machine is not a necessity that would need to be hooked to the generator(so says DH) but with light powered by the generator, voila!
    Takes me back to watching Grams sew on hers and what a beauty it was. She let me sew once on it.
    Treadle power means leg power means blood circulating and not collecting in your ankles.
    Agree with lostn51. I also was born a few generations too late.
    Because a thing of beauty is a joy forever.
    How many more ya want? :lol:
    and I don't even own one, yet. Have my eye on getting one this year. Would love one made in 55 to celebrate my 55th b-day this year. Also would like one from much earlier. We'll see what happens and how good a girl I can be. :roll: :oops:

  16. #16
    Super Member Mamaskeeto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FLORISSANT, MO
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I have heard rumors it produces buns of steel.
    No that's a thought. I could sew and exercise at the same time.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    What I like about the set up I have in my studio is that if I want to slip an industrial in my treadle I can. Its set up to where I can use a Singer 29 or 31 if I want and the translates to LONG ARM!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

    And Omak my house I have out in the middle of nowhere in middle TN is going full solar power with a water recovery system for the non potable water (toilets, shower, washer, dishwasher, sprinkler system) other than that well water will be for the drinking water.

    Right now the utility bill is breaking the bank and I dont live there full time.

    As far as the carbon footprint of my home it should not even exist, and the only bills I will have will be taxes (Yay) and my Satalite/DSL/Phone and thats it.

    But you heard about that guy Murphy haven't you........ I just hope his law will not apply to this house! :lol: :lol: :lol:

    Billy

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3
    Enjoyed everyone's response on peddle machines. Loved the idea of exercising while sewing. As for the buns of steel, I doubt it can do much for my 68 year old back side. :) Thanks for taking time to reply to my question.
    Pat41

  19. #19
    Super Member chairjogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Posts
    2,753
    Blog Entries
    2
    have you tried to use your current machine to sew canvas? Leather? tough blue jean material? The old machines are TOUGH! That is a very good reason..

    Other than that, nope will not trade for everday!
    Ell

  20. #20
    Super Member Quilt4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    9,035
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pam1966
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    because electrical power is not an absolute guarantee.
    That right there is a good point!

    I think it would be neat to have one. My sewing on it would probably look terrible, but I would have fun!
    Same here.

  21. #21
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I have heard rumors it produces buns of steel.
    No that's a thought. I could sew and exercise at the same time.
    I cast my vote here!!! And I add nostalgia.

    :lol:

  22. #22
    Super Member Quilt Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Headed home
    Posts
    2,417
    Anyone know where to find a treadle machine for sale?

    You have all convinced me!

  23. #23
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    Quiltmom.....check your local Craigslist.....that is where I found mine at a reasonable price. Just chek it out really good though.

  24. #24
    Super Member Aurora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Time
    Posts
    2,129
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have my ex's grandmother's treadle. I deemed it a necessity when I decided to homestead. I have oil lamps and camping lanterns, so when - not if - my power goes off, I can still sew, quilt, or knit. I am making it a point to heat and cook with propane. Later I will have battery backup charged by solar and wind power. Lack of power never slowed my grandmother, she frequently hooked rugs by lamp light and I am cut from the same cloth. Looking forward to living simply :thumbup:

  25. #25
    Senior Member vbourck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    427
    Last summer I got to go to Malawi and spent several days sewing with a group of wonderful widows. They sew clothing on treadles and in two days they each sewed an outfit for themselvs. There were treadles everywhere, as electricity is scarce and unreliable in most places. none were antiques, they were Chinese or Indian made knockoffs!
    Attached Images Attached Images


Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.