Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Texas is beautiful, but this quilt is not (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/texas-beautiful-but-quilt-not-t42155.html)

Rachelcb80 04-08-2010 03:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This quilt is a total disappointment. It's not what I had envisioned at all. It's had every kind of problem you can imagine and I'm just so glad it's done. I feel terrible because it was supposed to be for my husband, but I told him I will make him a better one soon. Of course he assures me that this one is great and he loves it, but I know better. He can't fool me. :) (I made him this one because shortly after he bought me my new Bernina he asked if I would make him a "Texas quilt". He didn't give me any ideas of what he wanted, just something to do with Texas. He was born and raised in East Texas and is still a Texan at heart.)

It's waaaaay bigger than I wanted but that's my own fault. I bought the pattern from a lady over the phone and she just mentioned if I wanted it to be quilt size (not wall hanging size) I should make the squares 4 1/2". Did I bother I compute how big that would make this quilt though? Noooooo. :P I had planned some borders but after getting just the squares done, I decided against the borders, even though it would look better with them.

Fabric close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49641[/ATTACH]

Candace 04-08-2010 03:43 PM

I think it came out great. How is it a disappointment?

LeslieSkelly 04-08-2010 03:46 PM

I think it is fabulous!!!! I don't see a thing wrong with it. I am originally from MS but got to Texas about 30 years ago....And I am Texan at heart but I miss MS.

wvdek 04-08-2010 03:48 PM

Looks fine to me!

Marjpf 04-08-2010 03:49 PM

I love it! I guess we are always our own worst critics. Your fabric choices were perfect, and the quilting is wonderful. I was raised in Texas so a part of me will always be Texan, and I would be proud to own a quilt like this.

Rachelcb80 04-08-2010 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I think it came out great. How is it a disappointment?

It just looked way better in my mind. When I look at it in reality it just looks like this red, white and blue blob in a sea of beige. :) Probably would have looked better as a smaller quilt with some nice borders. This was supposed to be a couch quilt but ended up 90 x 90.

Lady Tapioca 04-08-2010 03:51 PM

I think it looks great...isn't everything bigger in Texas anyway? :)

Lady Tapioca 04-08-2010 03:57 PM

I made a quilt that I thought had too much 'empty space' a while back. I have been slowly filling it with embellishments that fit. Maybe you have some memorabilia from Texas that you could add?

littlehud 04-08-2010 04:07 PM

I think it looks great. I love the fabrics you chose. They are perfect. You did a great job on it.

Jim's Gem 04-08-2010 04:15 PM

I think you are too hard on yourself. It looks great and your husband says it's great sooooooo...... Great job!!!