Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Second Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-second-quilt-t77919.html)

MomtoBostonTerriers 11-21-2010 08:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is the second quilt I've completed, a Christmas present for my father. He recently commented that he was sad his alma mater recently dropped the Little Colonel as its mascot, so when I saw this kit made by "Varsity Quilts" at the Houston Quilt Show two weeks ago, I snapped it up. Dad just celebrated his 90th birthday, so I decided to get busy and make the lap quilt for his Christmas gift -- at that age, one can't presume on the future.

I redesigned the kit so I could make this quilt using the Cotton Theory Method; took me about an hour of mental time while I was trying to fall asleep to work out the details, and viola! it worked like a charm.

Several weeks ago, I asked for advice on this board to help me with stippling. Thanks to all the comments you kind quilters shared with me, I have been practicing a lot and I can see some improvement.

My Dad was the first person in his family to graduate from college, the University of Mississippi.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131483[/ATTACH]

Quilt Inspector takes a very careful look at my handiwork.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131484[/ATTACH]

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-21-2010 08:32 PM

What a wonderful quilt. I'm sure your father will love it.

marilynr 11-21-2010 08:34 PM

Very impressive quilting job & wonderful gift for your Father.

JT 11-21-2010 08:40 PM

You did a great job on this quilt. Your second one????? It looks like a pro did it. Your Dad will be very pleased. Was the cotton theory hard to do? I have the book, and keep thinking about doing it, but haven't tried it yet. Hard?

Jim's Gem 11-21-2010 08:41 PM

Beautiful job!!!!

MomtoBostonTerriers 11-21-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by JT
You did a great job on this quilt. Your second one????? It looks like a pro did it. Your Dad will be very pleased. Was the cotton theory hard to do? I have the book, and keep thinking about doing it, but haven't tried it yet. Hard?

JT,

I love Cotton Theory! It is the only way I can quilt on my domestic sewing machine. I don't think that Cotton Theory is hard; I like the fact that I quilt in manageable sections and then sew them together. If you want to try out Cotton Theory, use the book to try a small project, such as a placemat (that's how I got started, 20 placemats later I was able to tackle a lap quilt). As you may notice from studying the Cotton Theory book, I have taken liberties by doing stipple quilting instead of straight lines and decorative stitches.

craftyone27 11-21-2010 08:50 PM

Great quilt- great job on stippling!! I'm sure he will love this!!

Kitsapquilter 11-21-2010 08:55 PM

I bet your Dad is going to love this quilt! Great job.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-21-2010 09:07 PM

What a fab gift for your Dad!! He is sure to love it.

Colorful Quilter 11-21-2010 09:29 PM

LOVE the quilt and your quilting looks fantastic, GREAT job, now I need to go practise