Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Diabetic Eating Healthy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/diabetic-eating-healthy-t98920.html)

fayzer 02-11-2011 08:07 PM

I learned something new this week about making spaghetti. Instead of using pasta with your spaghetti sauce, use broccoli slaw. This is so easy. Slowly stir fry the broccoli slaw in a little bit of olive oil until tender. I made the sauce adding bell pepper, onion, garlic, portabello mushrooms and meatballs and all the spices. I spooned the sauce over the broccoli slaw stir fry, took a bite and thought I was in heaven. I got a lot of veggies and and the correct amount of protein this way. It is no fun being diabetic, so having something that tastes really good is a definate plus. I didn't miss the pasta one bit.

scowlkat 02-11-2011 08:15 PM

Wow that sounds awesome! I am diabetic also and have a real problem with spaghetti because my hubby wants it at least once a week. I do make homemade so I can control the ingredients but am definitely going to try the broccoli slaw!

chuckbere15 02-11-2011 08:27 PM

I recently was taken off my diabetic meds. I have lost over 65 pounds. I had the lap band surgery and I am doing really well with it. Prior to the surgery, to increase protien and lower carb intake, I switch to whole wheat pasta. I don't care for the spaghetti or macoroni, but the angel hair is awesome.

I can't wait to try the slaw, that sounds fantastic.

champagnebubbles 02-11-2011 08:33 PM

Great idea! I will be using this idea!

fayzer 02-11-2011 08:48 PM

I gave my husband a bite of this and he LOVED it. Too bad, I only made enough for me as I thought he would want the pasta!

fayzer 02-11-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbere15
I recently was taken off my diabetic meds. I have lost over 65 pounds. I had the lap band surgery and I am doing really well with it. Prior to the surgery, to increase protien and lower carb intake, I switch to whole wheat pasta. I don't care for the spaghetti or macoroni, but the angel hair is awesome.

I can't wait to try the slaw, that sounds fantastic.

I am proud of you. 65 pounds! That is great. We have been using whole wheat pasta too. Doc said, "eat more vegetables", hence all the experimenting.

I have lost 50 and need to lose 7+ to get under 200 pounds. I can't wait to get under 200 lbs. I am setting reasonable goals, I am eating right and exercising. Had a knee replacement so the exercising isn't where it needs to be, but it has only been 3 months since my surgery.

sewwhat85 02-11-2011 09:24 PM

that sounds great

hobo2000 02-11-2011 09:51 PM

Try the spaghetti squash. It is easy and delicious and all of my grandkids love it.

Rhonda 02-11-2011 09:55 PM

I never cared for the spagetti squash but I would like to try the broccoli slaw. Is that something you do yourself? How do you make the broccoli slaw?

Mrs B 02-12-2011 01:42 AM

Yes Rhonda, that's my question too. What the heck is broccoli slaw?