Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: birds of 50 states quilt

birds of 50 states quilt

my mother started this quilt and had done about 30 birds.
    Her Health no longer allows her to do any hand work and i was wondering how i might find a way to
    pass on her work ?

is there someplace i can post/ advertise her completed squares?
    i have the ones unfinished as well, thread and pattern.
    i cannot throw this away.

thanks
    Piccolo

Power Poster
    Make a quilt with the completed blocks. There are great tutorials on youtube for learning how to embroider or do Redwork. Learn something new and complete your mother's unfinished blocks.

Blog Entries
    PM sent to member

as a new member, you can give them away but you have to qualify in order to sell here. http://www.quiltingboard.com/members-only-thrift-shop-yard-sale-f6/guidelines-selling-trading-t169124.html
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-24-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I agree with Tartan. Make a quilt out of the blocks your mother did. You or another family member will cherish it.

Is she able to tutor you but only if you want to learn? Hopefully there is someone who would love to take up the task of finishing the quilt. My ex did the same in X-stitch so I can imagine how lovely the blocks must be. If you finish it, you will cherish it and so will your children. Good Luck!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Have you contacted any senior centers or quilting guilds in your area? Someone there might be able to help you.
    Boom Albums

Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
    -- Eleanor Hibbert,
    British author

Finish them up and enjoy the quilt. I would not sell them nor give them away. If you don't know how maybe you could pay someone to finish it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My suggestion would be for you to see that quilt finished ... whether you do it or someone else.

There's nothing wrong with finishing it with the birds that are done ... and leaving out the other 20.
    Let her enjoy it once completed ... and then keep it for yourself, as a happy memory and link to her after she is gone.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Mother started embroidering squares on flour sacks with the state name and state flower in 1942 while my Dad was sent to war. When I was about 12 or 13 she gave them to me to finish embroiderering. She had completed about half of them and there were only 48 states then. I finished embroidering them and then put them all in my hope chest. When I retired six years ago, that was one of my things on my list of things to do. I was going to make it into a quilt to honor my Mom. She died in 1986. So I knew absolutely nothing about quilting and made LOTS of mistakes in my quilt and now I know the things I should have done with it, but I did finish it and hand quilted it and thought of my Mom the entire time I was making it. I see it frequently now and think of my Mom each time I do. I would definitely recommend you finish it. I don't think you will be sorry you did.

Blog Entries
    Hi, Piccolo,
    My mom did a embrodiered 50 state bird quilt and I put it together for her. My mom has passed away now and it is one of my prized possessions. you may want to consider putting it together for her, so you may have it when she is gone. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast