Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
More copyright questions.... >

More copyright questions....

More copyright questions....

Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 AM

Default More copyright questions....

I have been reading posts lately about copyright's...even though I have no desire to ever enter a quilt show, I still wonder about the picts that are posted on this site and others...if you can't show quilts without the designer's permission how can we post picts of quilts without their permission...basically isn't it the same thing...
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 AM

You absolutely can post pictures of the quilts YOU have made. Once the pattern is sold to you, what you do with your quilt is up to you totally. That's part of what the designer sold to you. What you cannot do is copy and sell or give the pattern to someone else. Nor can you claim it is your design. I have read that it is suggested when you display a quilt in a show or wherever, that you give the designer's name and/or the manufacturer of you have used one group of fabrics from a specific manufacturer.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 AM

copyright issues are the reason I gave up ALL my subscribtions to the many magazines I was getting. When I had a challange quilt in MQX I did mention the book and author that the blocks were taken from.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 AM

I went to a quilt show and got one of the books (magazine) that they give you when you first go in. Well I had taken alot of pictures of different quilts figureing that I would post them on here. Well I was looking at the booklet and in it it had said that you weren't allowed to post any pictures of the quilts that were here at the show on FB or any other site. How terrible I thought. I wanted to share my enjoyment at the show.
To me anyone who puts a quilt in a show shouldn't mind someone else to enjoy the pics that they took and want to share with their friends who couldn't go to the show. But if that is the case well they shouldn't have put them in the show. Anytime when there is an event people are going to take pics and share them on the internet with family, friends, and their groups. What are they afraid of? Shame on these events ( Lancaster Quilt Show etc. ) or any of the other big organizations that feel this way . Also these quilts that are on tour, No Pictures Allowed!!! Hog wash. Don't do this don't do that. I'm sorry if I have hurt anyones feelings but this is the way I feel. And it's not only with quilt shows it in general too. If you don't want pictures taken of something that you put on display well then keep it home all under a sheet or locked away for no one to see it.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
lue

Ditto to Cheryl's comments above. People who don't want to share the quilts should keep them home! Seeing the work of others inspires us to do better and more!