Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 46 of 108 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 56 96 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fabric Moratorium

Paulswaila: I think larger blocks just appeal to a different esthetic, witness the "modern" quilt movement. Maybe some of the ideas from some of those quilts? Quilts are always comforting no matter the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    well, I finally finished washing, drying and ironing everything. there's over 112 yards of fabric, flannel, one piece of denim and the rest is all quilting cotton. here's my question - is it really okay if I make super simple quilts to be donated to the charity I work for ( a battered woman's shelter) so that I can get some of this moved out of the house? I would maybe make some jelly roll race type quilts using fatter strips - about 3 inches or more. I would love to give my best work for this charity - but it takes too long. I'm considering also doing big blocks - like 8 inches or so to use up this new stash. Any thoughts?
    Strips and big blocks are definitely an option. You could even do 12" rail blocks. Oh wait, I saw a pattern that would be good. I figured it up and it comes out to 16" blocks with 6 pieces per block. http://store.quiltingbythebay.com/st...&Item_ID=11576

I'm actually wondering how it would look with the marble fabrics I've been accumulating for our quilt.

Let's see if I got the rules right: We CAN buy fabric for backing, borders and special requests. What about sashing? Do I have to use scraps to put together the embroidered blocks I want to use for that baby quilt I have to have made before August? Would I be cheating If I just bought a little too mugh backing?
    Happy quilting Grandma

I am sure the recipients of your charity quilts love to know someone cares...The easier the quilt the more people you can give this happiness to!

Betty Ruth: I think most of us agree that if the additional purchase is to complete a existing project it doesn't count. As far as the little smidgen extra, you wouldn't want to run out would you? We are the worlds best justifiers, we always have a logical reason for doing what we want to do.

Blog Entries
    Paula, I have a book that is nothing except big blocks. Most of the quilts are very nice as long as they have enough contrast. Lots of big HSTs mixed with squares.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=DustysMomma;6032430]Strips and big blocks are definitely an option. You could even do 12" rail blocks. Oh wait, I saw a pattern that would be good. I figured it up and it comes out to 16" blocks with 6 pieces per block. http://store.quiltingbythebay.com/st...&Item_ID=11576

Thanks, DustysMomma - that's a GREAT idea! I have bookmarked it and may even start one this afternoon!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Blog Entries
    well, I finally finished washing, drying and ironing everything. there's over 112 yards of fabric, flannel, one piece of denim and the rest is all quilting cotton. here's my question - is it really okay if I make super simple quilts to be donated to the charity I work for ( a battered woman's shelter) so that I can get some of this moved out of the house? I would maybe make some jelly roll race type quilts using fatter strips - about 3 inches or more. I would love to give my best work for this charity - but it takes too long. I'm considering also doing big blocks - like 8 inches or so to use up this new stash. Any thoughts?
    Here is another good pattern for quick quilts:
    Single Star Quilt

Just add as many borders as you'd like to enlarge the size.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I was just looking at a Pottery Barn catalog for quilt inspiration. They have a couple pretty quilts that are nothing but big blocks sewn together. The fabrics are bright florals of similar scale and a color plan. The quilting is super simple too. Take a look. You won't feel bad about donating a pretty and simple quilt when you see how much someone is willing to pay for a similar name brand quilt.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Sophie.....don't feel too bad, I, too, caved and bought fat quarters. I don't tell my hubby either. TeeHee. He never looks in my room.

Page 46 of 108 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 56 96 ... LastLast