Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 28 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

I've used Elmers & other school glues, in the Roxann's bottle. I found it ta be thick, but that I had more control that way. Good exercise for my arthritis! I do have ta clear the tip out w/water much more often than I want.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    empty bottles and tips of various sizes are availible on the internet from cheapjoes art supplies...FYI

www.cheapjoes.com
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 08-10-2012 at 10:35 AM.

A hint for someone wanting to try using the liquid school glue: I purchased a DecoArt Foam Paint 1 oz bottle from Michaels for around .99. I purchased it after looking at all the water based paint bottles looking for the one with the smallest tip. I rinsed out the paint and when clean and dry refilled it with the school glue. I have been using this bottle for gluing my bindings for several years now. It leaves very small amounts of glue and works very well. The plastic top on the bottle really seals the glue well.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    Someone else on the board had posted this site several weeks ago:

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...words=13757948

I got this and the cap fits the Elmer's School Glue bottle perfectly. You get two bottles and seven tips, and the price is right!
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
    A hint for someone wanting to try using the liquid school glue: I purchased a DecoArt Foam Paint 1 oz bottle from Michaels for around .99. I purchased it after looking at all the water based paint bottles looking for the one with the smallest tip. I rinsed out the paint and when clean and dry refilled it with the school glue. I have been using this bottle for gluing my bindings for several years now. It leaves very small amounts of glue and works very well. The plastic top on the bottle really seals the glue well.

Thanks Jeanie, you really have gotten your money's worth... .99 is my kinda price!

Thanks Evie for the resource. So much to learn on here, huh?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

I love this board! We share so much!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Wow ladies some great info. I like all of the ideas for the bottles. I have been a very busy lady and this August 15th I will have the Outer Sashing Tutorial Ready to post. I'm hoping to see some more finished centers posted before than.

It's always a great day for QUILTING!
    Have an awesome day!

I have been following along with this thread but won't be putting my orphan blocks together for awhile. I am working on a queen sized quilt that I really want to get finished before I start another project. I know that I am different from a lot of quilters in that I don't like to have too many things going at once!

I am a big fan of glue basting! I glue baste quilt sandwiches together all of the time. I've used it on bindings, lining up seams & appliqué. I am not a big fan of hand work!

I just ordered those bottles & tips from Overstock.com- thanks Evie for the info. And big thanks to Jenniky for this great tutorial!

Here is part of what I got done today, the 14 blocks I have are quilted, and here is a picture of my first attempt of putting blocks together:
    Name:  My avatar 003.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  1.05 MB
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Jenniky, Roxanne Baste it might have the tip you are looking for when using liquid glue. I bought mine for the great tip and it works so nicely. Here's a link so you can see the tip. http://www.amazon.com/Roxanne-Glue-B...+glue+baste+it
    The tip works great...BUT I SUGGEST WASHING IT OUT WITH HOT WATER AFTER EACH USE. I put this in caps because it's very important. If you don't, you will have a clogged tip & it will be very hard to wash & unplug. Take it from one who knows! I use the liquid occassionally. Mostly I use the cheapest glue sticks I can find. No need to heat set...after about 5 minutes the glue is dry & good to go. I've never had any issues with anything on my needle or feed dogs. And if you get some on the fabric showing, just a damp cloth will take it right out. For me, it's definately the way to go!

Page 28 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast