Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge >

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM

Well, I finished my center so far. It is not anything to brag about though. I tried to match the vertical lines, one matches and one doesn't. I did a hem stitch on the sashings because it looked like the stitching would not be on the lines of the front of the quilt. I made a mistake the first time I tried to put 2 blocks together and stitched the back sashing to the wrong side of the block. I did not press it towards the next block. So, I had to take the seam out. I will post a picture tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 AM

MaggieMay - Hello, hello . . I also want to invite you to share your QAYG experiences with us and participate in the discussions. And Questions are always welcomed.

Charlottemarie - I love your Halloween Blocks. I notice your blocks are not trimmed and squared prior to you making your first sash joining. If you are following different QAYG variation that is great. My concern is if you are trying to follow the technique I am currently sharing. You possibly could run into some problems with not trimming and squaring up your quilted squares before attaching them with the sashing strips. The advantage of doing the trimming and squaring step is the ability to smoothly align your square edges nicely butted up against each other. And your corners to match up. This is important to aligning your vertical sashing strips when you begin to attach the rows. Keep us posted on your progress.. with your Halloween QAYG quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354840[/ATTACH]

VickiM - Great Input

Ssnare - I look forward to seeing your completed center today.

Everyone - I would hope that my pointing out or asking questions in regards to our shared progress does not offend anyone. I would never want to do that. Our pictures and posts are the avenue for which we can interact in our virtual classroom thread. I want to be sensitive to the individual learning process and at the same time be helpful. Mistakes are part of the learning process. I Personally have become very adept at picking out seams and resewing. I try to share my mistakes as well as my successes with everyone because I know that awareness of a potential mistake helps to give me that extra mental nudge to avoid making the same or similar mistake when I am ready to try. This is why I also invite input on my shared Steps. (so called Tutorials) It seems easier for sharing to be called that. As I said in the beginning I really don't like to call what I am sharing a tutorial because I am just sharing my attempt at recreating what I have read, and learned via watching others instruction. I will continue to encourage to everyone to share their learning efforts and input. We have a wonderful virtual learning center here on the QB and I'm very pleased to be a part of it and that in this process I am learning as much from you ladies as you may be learning from me. I just want to be clear of not offending anyone. I write and respond off the top of my head. I write as if I'm speaking... more or less. So other than editing glaring mis-spellings. I can't say that I put a lot of thought into what I am writing ... I am just sharing my thoughts and experiences. I am counting as much on you Ladies to help me as I want to help you. When I am posting the tutorials, again I am just taking pictures as I do each step and then I relate to you what I did along the process along with any extra tidbits of info I have read or experienced. I write all of this because we are not in a physical classroom and those extra laid back stance of the body, light tone in voice, and smile don't always translate through words. Gasp, Charlottemarie what Im trying to say .... Is I just want to help you. Am I? or Did I just splat myself on the ground as I fumble the ball.?
Attached Thumbnails all-squared-up.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the testing and comments. Thought I'd try it but since I do have a higher-end machine, I'll stick with my basting spray to be on the safe side.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:10 AM

Jenniky - You explained yourself well. I also noticed the joined blocks were a little off so helping fellow quilters learn this cool technique is important to learn it correctly. As I've mentioned before, I've been using this specific technique for over 2 years now and as long as I'm doing it correctly, my quilts turn out nice and square (or rectangle LOL) as you can see with my t-shirt quilt posted earlier.

Although I'm working on some other projects I need to get done (small stuff - not quilts), I'll take some time today and take pics of some of my other stuff (including the Christmas blocks I want to finish with this group) and post later.

The one great tip I've picked up from jenniky is the stitching down the edges around the blocks. I haven't done this before but it makes total sense and will definitely eliminate some of the problems I've run into.

Keep up the great work everyone!! You'll love this process once you get the hang of it. And, Jenniky, thank you for doing this.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks Vicki for your reassurance. Being my first time hosting a thread ya'll know I worry. I have taken some pictures of the QAYG squares I am working on today. The pictures hopefully will give a better view of the prepped squares then I showed before with the Purple Pixie QAYG project. These squares are for a quilt I have dubbed my PINK NIGHTMARE quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354887[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354889[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354890[/ATTACH]

It is very important to match up sections and either pin them in place prior to sewing. Or as we have been learning about the uses of glue basting. You can glue baste your strips in place prior to sewing them to prevent them from shifting off alignment. I hope this is helpful and clearer than my first post regarding the squaring up and matching process.
Attached Thumbnails examples-001.jpg   examples-002.jpg   examples-003.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Here is my center so far.
Attached Thumbnails qayg-rows-joined02.jpg   qayg-rows-joined-back.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Nice job ssnare!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Great job Snare. Your quilt is coming together so very nicely.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Thank you ladies. I have 14 smaller star blocks that I think I will add to this quilt, after we learn about the borders. So, maybe I will try an alternative method for QAYG when that tutorial comes along. I also have some batik star blocks. Who knows what will be next.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Those really look great ssnare! I wish I was in a position to start mine. I'm still try to play catch up on my Pony Club Blocks, Calendar BOM, and another BOM I doing!

Jenniky - I, for one, really appreciate your time in helping us along this QAYG process. I'm learning so much and have not even tried it yet!