Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

JLVerde 03-20-2013 10:34 AM

Too funny that I just noticed this post. When I finally got around to organizing all my crafting/sewing stuff I saw how much fabric I had and decided there would be no more buying unless I had an in-progress project for it.

I'm happy to report that I'm doing pretty well with my "buying diet". Yes, I've had a treat here and there (I buy online a lot, so sometimes I do pad out an order with a bit of "treat" fabric so I can make the minimum for free shipping or if it's something from my fabric wish list and/or on at least 25% off sale).

I found making a list of approved purchases is helping. It allows me to do some buying but keeps me focused so I'm not buying merely to hoard the fabric. And I'm getting things made, too. One of my approved purchases was fabric for a giant squid plush (it's 6 feet long!) for an art show next month. Since the fabric was on the approved list, now I'm more motivated to PROVE I needed that fabric by finishing the project (fabric has been washed, ironed, and cut--so I'm making great progress).

Sophie2 03-20-2013 10:52 AM

I have found that even though I haven't quit buying fabric completely, I do think about purchases more. I have been using up a lot of my stash and buying fabric for only backing or background. You wouldn't think I have used up much of my stash by looking at it, but I know I have. I am also keeping all my receipts for fabric I have purchased this year just to see how much I am spending. I find that is helpful too. I don't think I will ever stop buying fabric completely, but I am more aware of what I have and also of sales - and sites that offer free shipping.

paulswalia 03-21-2013 04:25 PM

I've been purposely avoiding this thread even tho I signed up for it because we are in the middle of our State's shop hop. Come on, you HAVE to support the local shops, right? I didn't do too bad, although I didn't really need the yard of Batik and the Batik fat quarter collection. The other purchases were designated for specific projects (okay, okay, I haven't started them, but I will......okay?) I'm going out shop hopping again on Saturday - wish me luck! But after this I PROMISE I'll stick to the moratorium.

paulswalia 03-21-2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do (Post 5932921)
I love your story about the unplanned block. I bet your friend is smiling down at you from above.

Where are you from in NH? My friend used to work at The Constant Quilter in Andover, NH.

Emma S 03-21-2013 04:31 PM

Paulswalia: No reason to avoid us. If you read back you will see that the thread is littered with our good intentions. Yes you have to plan ahead, and yes you have to patronize your local quilt shops. Both tried and true justifications, that I am afraid have already been used. Next we'll hear the dog ate some fabric and you had to replace it. Beware we have your promise in writing now and we will laugh at you.

paulswalia 03-21-2013 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by emma s (Post 5944789)
paulswalia: No reason to avoid us. If you read back you will see that the thread is littered with our good intentions. Yes you have to plan ahead, and yes you have to patronize your local quilt shops. Both tried and true justifications, that i am afraid have already been used. Next we'll hear the dog ate some fabric and you had to replace it. Beware we have your promise in writing now and we will laugh at you.

boo!!!!!! Hiss!!!!!!!

lots2do 03-21-2013 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia (Post 5944779)
Where are you from in NH? My friend used to work at The Constant Quilter in Andover, NH.

I live in the Keepsake Quilting region of NH. Not a real region, I know, but it could be!

paulswalia 03-22-2013 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do (Post 5944887)
I live in the Keepsake Quilting region of NH. Not a real region, I know, but it could be!

I would need to be on a moratorium for sure if I lived near KQ - especially around the tent sale time. Maybe I would need a hiatus from the moratorium for the tent sale because I couldn't stay away! I've been one of those on the porch at 5 am waiting for the sale!

deedum 03-22-2013 04:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got a strip quilt finally finished just in time for my dear friends birthday, I also made an Ipad bag and a little pouch for the cord. Fits nicely inside the bag. I am happy

alikat110 03-26-2013 05:27 PM

I have fallen off this wagon.....not sure I'm strong enough to climb back on!!!! I am resisting the urge to post post pics of all my new, lovely fabrics.....couldn't face being responsible for others going over!!!!