Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

paulswalia 04-29-2013 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Foxflower (Post 6033935)
I was just looking at a Pottery Barn catalog for quilt inspiration. They have a couple pretty quilts that are nothing but big blocks sewn together. The fabrics are bright florals of similar scale and a color plan. The quilting is super simple too. Take a look. You won't feel bad about donating a pretty and simple quilt when you see how much someone is willing to pay for a similar name brand quilt.

Thanks for the inspiration - I did go look and you're right - I can do quilts as nice or better than those - I'm going to make some with big blocks!

DustysMomma 04-29-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia (Post 6033166)

Originally Posted by DustysMomma (Post 6032430)
Strips and big blocks are definitely an option. You could even do 12" rail blocks. Oh wait, I saw a pattern that would be good. I figured it up and it comes out to 16" blocks with 6 pieces per block. http://store.quiltingbythebay.com/st...&Item_ID=11576

Thanks, DustysMomma - that's a GREAT idea! I have bookmarked it and may even start one this afternoon!

I'm wondering how it would look made out of bright marbles. I've been collecting them for a bit. I have orange, a dark bright blue, turqoise, purple, and I think green. Then I got a dark gray marble for a contrast.

PaperPrincess 04-30-2013 04:53 AM

Here it is, the last day of April, and I'm feeling a bit smug! I actually made it thru a whole month without any fabric purchases at all! This included a trip to JoAnn's with my birthday gift - gift cards and a class at my LQS! I also finished a big PaperPrincess job (wedding invitations), so I was able to actually quilt this month. My brother wanted a quilt to put over a window in his TV room. We pulled about 50 Brown, Beige & +Green batiks from my stash. I wish I could say that they were fat quarters, but it was mostly yardage. See why I need to be on a buying freeze????
How did everyone else do?

Emma S 04-30-2013 05:00 AM

Nothing this month. TaDa! For some unknown reason feeling the urge. Will resist, will resist....

Sophie2 04-30-2013 05:06 AM

I did really good this month until my DH took me to Wisconsin this past weekend. Unknown to me, they were having a Quilt Shop Marathon. I went to one shop to purchase enough fabric to finish a baby quilt when I found out about the Marathon. I wasn't going to participate, but DH heard about it and took me to 6 shops over the weekend and picked out things he wanted me to make for us. He was so cute, everytime we came out of a shop he told me to enter the next address into the GPS. Since I hadn't been in a quilt shop since Christmas and hadn't bought much this year, I really didn't feel guilty. Have to support the LQS - plus it was just so much fun. I really think my DH had as much fun as I did.

Emma S 04-30-2013 05:09 AM

Sophie: That man is a keeper! Seems to me you were blameless, you were kidnapped.

Sophie2 04-30-2013 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 6035573)
Sophie: That man is a keeper! Seems to me you were blameless, you were kidnapped.

Emma, I like your thinking!!!

irishrose 04-30-2013 05:49 AM

One whole month with no fabric purchases! I did go to JoAnn's early in the month, but I only bought interfacing for a friend and varigated thread for me - $.50 for large spool - I bought a few in colors I know I will use. :o

paulswalia 04-30-2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DustysMomma (Post 6034657)
I'm wondering how it would look made out of bright marbles. I've been collecting them for a bit. I have orange, a dark bright blue, turqoise, purple, and I think green. Then I got a dark gray marble for a contrast.

I finished the top today!!! Piecing the back to get all of the selected fabric used up so that none is left over. Will post photo tomorrow when I can get it out in the sunshine for better lighting. thanks for the pattern idea, dustysmomma!

DustysMomma 04-30-2013 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia (Post 6036588)
I finished the top today!!! Piecing the back to get all of the selected fabric used up so that none is left over. Will post photo tomorrow when I can get it out in the sunshine for better lighting. thanks for the pattern idea, dustysmomma!

OOH! I can't wait to see!!!!