Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-ufo-challenge-month-t209986.html)

wildyard 01-20-2013 12:10 PM

A big train whistle welcome to those who recently climbed aboard!! How great to have you with us. Looking forward to seeing your UFO's turn into FOs! Printing " UFO Donation Center" on my forehead for Corky. LOL

deedum 01-20-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 5799596)
I'm sorry Dee, but there is something you said that I can't quite understand. Can you please explain what "use up the rest of my scraps" means? Somehow this is a concept that completely escapes me. No matter how many scraps I use, there always seems to be just as many as when I started. Is there, perhaps, some magic powder or potent you sprinkle on them that keeps them from multiplying in the night? Or even maybe shrinks or dissolves a few each day?
I even changed the container I kept mine in, fearing it might have had the powers of the Stone Soup kettle, but apparently the container is not the problem.
Please share your secrets with us as I am sure there are many who would benefit.

Oh, it isn't that simple I am afraid. Let me explain. I have a large trash can that I throw in all the tiny and ubber smaller pieces of scraps. Anything less than a 2" goes in there. That is what I use for stuffing for the doggie beds that goes to the humane society. Anything bigger than that goes in my super large ziploc bags, they are my big scrappy pieces (anything bigger than 2"). I am trying to tame them, but it just seems the more I try to use those up the more they mutiply. I guess I get some satisfaction to know at least I get rid of the little bitty scraps. No magic yet for the bigger ones.
P.s. two doggie beds are done

love to sew 01-20-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot (Post 5797276)
Just finished my Project Linus Quilt. This has been hanging around in semi-complete form since Thanksgiving. Finally got the binding on.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]389190[/ATTACH]

very pretty and unique, must put it on my "list" to make.

love to sew 01-20-2013 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5796003)
Done! I made this top 3 years ago, for my son. Then it sat, and sat. I put it on my "UFO list" in both 2011 and 2012, and found an excuse each time it came up, to avoid it. I didn't want to mess it up, and couldn't bear the though of stuffing it through my regular machine.

When I got a long arm last July I decided it was time to do it - but of course I needed to get better at my skills first, because I do love this quilt (that was November's excuse, when this quilt came up for the UFO challenge). Finally, this month I said Enough! I made myself load it on the long arm before anything else, so that I had to finish it. And here it is! I lost a fight with my rotary cutter in the process, but my finger is healing and the quilt is complete and now resides on my son's bed. A whole year before he goes away to school :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]388994[/ATTACH]

And a closeup of some of my quilting. I did stitch in the ditch around the stars, after this picture was taken.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]388998[/ATTACH]

That is beautiful.

SoBuzy 01-20-2013 09:20 PM

Beautiful finished UFO's I am seeing already... I am jumping in (but please don't make me count them!)... I would like to accomplish one a month as well! So wish me luck and I wish all of you the best as well! But, I don't know how to blow the whistle!!!

SoBuzy 01-20-2013 09:21 PM

Absolutely beautiful!

deedum 01-21-2013 05:47 AM

I didn't give up on the challenge. I just worked late til midnight. I did get some sewing done, and another dog bed completed. That takes care of the uber bitty scraps for now. Today, I will finish that little baby quilt. Just a little scraper it is.

LadyKassy 01-21-2013 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5796003)
Done! I made this top 3 years ago, for my son. Then it sat, and sat. I put it on my "UFO list" in both 2011 and 2012, and found an excuse each time it came up, to avoid it. I didn't want to mess it up, and couldn't bear the though of stuffing it through my regular machine.

When I got a long arm last July I decided it was time to do it - but of course I needed to get better at my skills first, because I do love this quilt (that was November's excuse, when this quilt came up for the UFO challenge). Finally, this month I said Enough! I made myself load it on the long arm before anything else, so that I had to finish it. And here it is! I lost a fight with my rotary cutter in the process, but my finger is healing and the quilt is complete and now resides on my son's bed. A whole year before he goes away to school :)

This is gorgeous - Great job.

asimplelife 01-21-2013 09:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
UFOs #5 & #6 are done. Both are Warm Wishes quilts... the pink one is Ballerina Cats and the other is Animal Pairs. Both will be donated to Project Linus.

Fraew 01-21-2013 09:55 AM

Go go go asimplelife! Good for you. :thumbup: