Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-ufo-challenge-month-t209986.html)

createfourpaws 02-09-2013 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5849320)
Oh, I really like this. Looks like a strip quilt - I don't think there is any need to add to the length if you do this. The long black strip looks great!
Krista

Thanks Krista. that is what I am thinking.

dublb 02-09-2013 08:35 AM

This is a great idea. If ya feel that it needs some black on top & bottom, ya could just add a sm (ie 1" or 2") border there ta close it up.

wildyard 02-09-2013 09:36 AM

Great finishes all!!

I agree with the concept that you can add width without needing to add length. I often do this by adding side borders without adding bottom and top borders. I do like the look of closing it all up with a final border around all 4 sides tho, to kind of make it look finished. One of my favorite things to do, in your quilts case, might be to add the black between the rows and outside (3 strips) in a narrower width, perhaps 4", then do some piano keys on the outsides and finish with a 2" black border all around.

createfourpaws 02-09-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 5849536)
Great finishes all!!

I agree with the concept that you can add width without needing to add length. I often do this by adding side borders without adding bottom and top borders. I do like the look of closing it all up with a final border around all 4 sides tho, to kind of make it look finished. One of my favorite things to do, in your quilts case, might be to add the black between the rows and outside (3 strips) in a narrower width, perhaps 4", then do some piano keys on the outsides and finish with a 2" black border all around.

I do wish I had more of the fabric to do the piano keys around. Right now I am thinking about doing a 2 inch frame around each block and find a color I have in my stash that goes with the colors in the fabric for a 3-4 inch finishing frame around the whole thing. I am only using from my stash.

Thanks for all of the input. I may wait a few more days before I do anything with this.

Foxflower 02-09-2013 12:56 PM

You are doing exactly what I was going to suggest....sashing between strips sets. To bring it together, how about quilting the black strips/sashing in a rainbow varigated thread? Then you wouldn't need to make it longer by adding sashing around each block.

VickiM 02-09-2013 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just finished two UFO's started in 2010. The fish one is a "DQ" quilt. The dinosaur one; I had made 3 "DQ's" of the dinosaur back then & this quilt is the scraps from 2 of them. I have enough scraps left to make the third color I did from those scraps but that will come later. I had this scrappy UFO almost finished, so thought I'd just get it done! I just made this one up as I went along...no pattern.

carriem 02-09-2013 07:04 PM

Vicki--these are some great quilts...fun way to use up the scraps.

dublb 02-09-2013 08:12 PM

Now, aren't those cute? Way ta go Vicky!:thumbup:

missgigglewings 02-10-2013 07:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally finished this Asian themed quilt for a Tae Kwan Do instructor who is also a friend! I started this last summer! ( He shouldn't have told me there was no hurry!)

carriem 02-10-2013 08:30 AM

Missgigglewings---that is a very pretty quilt. Great quilting on it too!