Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Aaqi challenge for qb members (first annual?) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/aaqi-challenge-qb-members-first-annual-t185411.html)

rwquilts 04-22-2012 04:39 PM

Pretty quilts Dragonfly Nana

LeslieFrost 04-22-2012 05:16 PM

Suziehammond, so glad to have you join us! You are right -- you might as well make several and mail them all at once!

Originally Posted by suziehammond (Post 5161026)
What a great group to bring to our attention. This is right down my alley. Since I live overseas I can make several and send all at once for the same price as they are light and small. Thanks!

LeslieFrost 04-22-2012 05:17 PM

Dragonfly Nana, those Bono Roses are fabulous! I can see why you wanted to do those -- they are very beautiful and graphic.

oksewglad 04-22-2012 07:09 PM

Lovely roses, Paula!

Dragonfly Nana 04-22-2012 08:17 PM

Thank you Ladies. I hope they do well for AAQI Pam Bono is one of my favorite deisgners.

Beequilter 04-23-2012 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana (Post 5162852)
Thank you Ladies. I hope they do well for AAQI Pam Bono is one of my favorite deisgners.

I read on the site to be sure to get the designer's permission if you use a pattern from any where. Some fabric designers don't allow their fabric to be used in 'for sale' projects and these do go on sale. So, be careful. Someone who donates these said hers was refused because she did not get permission to use a pattern. So it was returned to her for that.

LeslieFrost 04-23-2012 09:37 AM

Yes, Beequilter, that is true. AAQI is very careful about that. If your little quilt is not an original design, then you must say where you saw the pattern, and must enclose consent from the designer when you mail in your quilt.

One place to look for designs to use is McCall's quilting mags. On one of the Contents pages, at the bottom, you'll find a blanket statement of permission to use any of the designs.

I have found, however, that designers are glad to give permission for their designs to be used in AAQI quilts, as they know that they'll get proper acknowledgment, and the quilts are going for a good cause.

Anyone can PM me for more on this subject!

Originally Posted by Beequilter (Post 5163717)
I read on the site to be sure to get the designer's permission if you use a pattern from any where. Some fabric designers don't allow their fabric to be used in 'for sale' projects and these do go on sale. So, be careful. Someone who donates these said hers was refused because she did not get permission to use a pattern. So it was returned to her for that.

Dragonfly Nana 04-23-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost

I have found, however, that designers are glad to give permission for their designs to be used in AAQI quilts, as they know that they'll get proper acknowledgment, and the quilts are going for a good cause.

Very true Leslie. The designer that gave me permission for the roses asked only that I send her a picture of the finished product so she could post on her Facebook page. In her posting she not only showed the picture but explained about AAQI and how proud she was that one of her designs was being used for such a worthy cause.

That will reach a lot of quilters and hopefully inspire some of them to help AAQI too!

LeslieFrost 04-23-2012 03:29 PM

That's great, Nana! The more who know, the better!

After one of the ones I made sold, I sent another email to the designer to let her know.

adnil458 05-23-2012 05:24 AM

Great Challenge Leslie!!!! I just sent you pm of my five quilts so far. Maybe I'll up my own challenge and do five minis in June. I encourage everyone to JOIN the QUILT A MONTH CLUB on AAQI.org. In addition, you can join the $1000 promise (mine have raised $525 so far).