Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

nancia 07-11-2012 10:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
one more shot at pictures

YES!!! it worked! i have to remember to go to save after i've resized! o ta da!!!:D

nancia 07-11-2012 10:57 AM

isn't this the neatest way to give someone a gift?! dotty, thanks!

Linny 07-11-2012 11:22 AM

What a neat little quilt........now we'll be waiting to see what you do with the new color sticks.

nancia 07-11-2012 01:18 PM

i'm starting right now! i'm supposed to be doing the dishes (my own expectation) but i'd so rather play!!

azwendyg 07-12-2012 04:53 AM

6 Attachment(s)
OK, I hope it's alright to jump right in here...

I did a little quilt that I think fits the July "Refreshing and Cool" theme. (This is my third attempt ever on an "art" quilt...)

I tried several techniques that are new to me, so yes, definitely out of my comfort zone! I'm trying to get the hang of "embellishment" and always feel like what I have done is either not enough or too much. I'd love some help with suggestion on that in particular, but anything overall that you wonderfully artistic folks can add would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Edit: Sorry, the pics seem a bit dark.

Here goes:
This is my "Shade Tree in Summer"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348392[/ATTACH]
This little quilt is about 29" in diameter. I made the tree using a trapunto technique I've been struggling with a bit to work out a process that works for me. First I draw the design out on freezer paper, then press the paper on to felt and cut it out, paper and all with an Exacto knife. Next lay out my backing, batting and background fabric and spray baste the sandwich all together with 505 spray. Then I use a light mist of 505 spray on the top of my background fabric and lay the felt cutout, with paper still attached to keep it stable, on top of the background fabric, gently pressing in place with my hands, then peel off the paper. Next, I lay a piece of organza over the top and also smooth into place. The 505 is just sticky enough to hold it all in place if I'm careful handling it. After it is all sandwiched, I carefully stitch very closely around the trapunto to hold it all together, and then FMQ the background. It took several experiments and a few failed (read that as "cut my organza when I was trying to trim trapunto") attempts before I settled on this process.

Here are a couple of closeups of the trapunto.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348393[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348397[/ATTACH]
And some of the FMQing:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348394[/ATTACH]
These are supposed to be tree roots...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348395[/ATTACH]
and some leaves and bark...

And here I used some Shiva Oil Paintstiks to highlight the circles in the feather spine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348396[/ATTACH]

I felt like it needed some embellishment so I added a bunch of beading, but am not totally happy with that....

I've been looking at this quilt in minute detail for so long, I don't feel like I have a good sense how it is in respect to overall design/impact anymore...

Suggestions and comments please???

Linny 07-12-2012 06:16 AM

Wendy- Your art quilt is gorgeous.....the design...the color and your workmanship is really excellent. Trapunto is on my list of things to try now. I have a feeling it may be a bit difficult for me but I'm going to research it and give it a go. Looking forward to seeing more of your work here.

oksewglad 07-12-2012 06:49 AM

What a cool retreat to look at! Your work is exceptional, azwendyg

nancia 07-12-2012 06:49 AM

just to let you know, my pc is sick, maybe fatally, so if you don't see me for a bit, that's why!
wendy-- i had written you a critique and my comp logged off. your piece is gorgeous! you have no need to feel you're not good enough, you do beautiful work! i hope some day to be able to quilt half as well. mmmm, yummy!!
just an idea, what about raising the long string of beads to about an inch or so below the center top beads. i think they blend in against the green of the tree and they should be where they can be seen. it will add a little visual weight to the branches of the tree and creates a balance of the airiness of the top of the tree and the solidity of the tree and roots. just a thought. such gorgeous work! if you get tired of it (as if that could happen, lol) i have the perfect space for it in my living room!!!:D, no, really!

SewExtremeSeams 07-12-2012 07:32 AM

Gorgeous Wendy! Thank you for posting and with instructions for what has worked for you. It sounds very doable to and for me. Your shade tree reminds me of the tall, old weeping willow trees in our yard. When I look at your quilt the brown beads depict the soil line and the scattered beads like soil that is below the surface. It's an excellent choice of beads for that. If I missed the mark of what it represents, my apologies. Thank you for posting so many photos to give us a real close up look. There is so much to learn by studying your photos. Wow.

azwendyg 07-12-2012 07:47 AM

Linny~I found lots of great info on the web about trapunto, and seaching "shadow trapunto" and "reverse trapunto" lead to some particularly interesting stuff for me. I'd be happy to help you along also, and share my recent experiences!

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 5358513)
...just an idea, what about raising the long string of beads to about an inch or so below the center top beads. i think they blend in against the green of the tree and they should be where they can be seen. it will add a little visual weight to the branches of the tree and creates a balance of the airiness of the top of the tree and the solidity of the tree and roots. just a thought. such gorgeous work!

Thanks Nancia~That's a great idea...I think I'll give it a try!