Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

SewExtremeSeams 07-05-2012 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 (Post 5340337)
I used the 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. The Sargent watercolor pencils were only $3.99 for a box of 12. I got the clear aloe vera at Walgreens in the area with sunscreen, etc., only $2.50 for a 6oz tube.

Much cheaper than Derwent Inktense pencils. Thanks.

jaciqltznok 07-05-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 (Post 5339149)
I would like to join in. I have been playing with watercolor pencils and the Inktense pens that someone was talking about here on the Board. Haven't perfected it yet! I played with this yesterday, maybe I can turn it into a "kool koi". Suggestions welcome. I'm thinking some weeping willow limbs maybe. Did you ever play under a weeping willow beside a creek when you were a kid. My grandma had a huge one down behind the house on the creek bank. It was the best hideout ever, and cool, too. Summer in Oklahoma is always miserably hot, we learn to find those cool spots. And of course we had catfish in the creek instead of koi!

The tulips I did with watercolor crayons and experminted with both water and aloe vera. The aloe vera definitely worked better. After I washed it the flowers done with the water faded. Maybe I forgot to heat set them. I can't remember.

awesome!!!!!!!

jaciqltznok 07-05-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 (Post 5340337)
I used the 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. The Sargent watercolor pencils were only $3.99 for a box of 12. I got the clear aloe vera at Walgreens in the area with sunscreen, etc., only $2.50 for a 6oz tube.

just remember that cheaper is just that when it comes to the TOOLS you use..the Seargant pencils do NOT hold up under sunlight, and can never be washed...the intense can handle it all! The prismacolor is middle of the road...but does not hold up well with light/pastel applications!

jaciqltznok 07-05-2012 11:19 AM

when using a Bleach pen or soft scrub with bleach, etc to "dishcarge" dye your fabric, please be sure to STOP the bleach action...if you do not do this important step, the chlorine continues to destroy the fabric fibers!!!!!
Get some anit-chlor in the pool section of walmart, lowe's etc...it only takes a tsp to a gallon of water.....NOTHING else will stop it..not even vinegar....

Linny 07-05-2012 11:20 AM

Working on my "Cool and Refreshing".....almost done. Years ago we took the children on a camping trip to Maine and stopped in Vermont traveling 4-5 miles on a trail to campsite where a creek flowed next to us. It was so beautiful to listen to the water while everyone fell asleep. I tried to capture the creek and trees. Will post later when it's done. Maine was beautiful too......and the lobster at Trenton Bridge was the best!

nancia 07-05-2012 01:28 PM

oh, linny! you are talking about my childhood stomping grounds! we went camping alot. even went to the rangely outdoor school. learned to fire off an arrow, and shoot water at 20 ft. daniel boone, move over, there's a new sherrif in town! LOLOLOL

Linny 07-05-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 5341392)
oh, linny! you are talking about my childhood stomping grounds! we went camping alot. even went to the rangely outdoor school. learned to fire off an arrow, and shoot water at 20 ft. daniel boone, move over, there's a new sherrif in town! LOLOLOL

It's fun to think of all the memorable times we spent with family going new places just to have fun. After all your outdoor experiences, you probably did feel like Daniel Boone.....what a hoot!

nancia 07-06-2012 07:39 AM

i used to love camping. we were tent people. my sister and i went cross-country and camped every night, sometimes in someone's woods. we had a blast. once a week we landed at a friend's house and had a shower and a home cooked meal. we drove from massachusetts to banff, and down to california and back across the us. i think it was 6 weeks. if i had the back for it i'd do it again, :). my sister and i could travel anywhere together and have fun! she's terrific! man, we were on a beans or tuna budget, with a lot of pb&j on puffy white bread. we live in such a beautiful country. so much variation. when we got home it was fall and the trees in the berkshires were changed to their foliage finery. what a great welcome home!:thumbup:

Linny 07-06-2012 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my "Refreshing and Cool" for July.....

Linny 07-06-2012 04:08 PM

My memory of the "Vermont Stream" where we camped with our children so many years ago. Water, rocks, foliage and markings on background trees again using sharpies.....the rest is fabric on hand.