Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

nancia 02-07-2013 11:31 PM

very nice. julie!
dotty-don't leave out the chocolate raspberry! my favorite!
just finished a mini-quilt 13"square and bunches of 1" hst's and proved to myself that i am not accurate enough to get terrific results. no false modesty. i know when i've done well and i know when i haven't developed my skills enough. never stops me from trying it, after all the more you do it the better it should get, and i guess that ties in with feb's theme ,by chance not by design. lol! it is for the january dq swap and i am way late, but i think i un-sewed more than i sewed! come to think of it, it did feel like groundhog day! hahahaha. i am so glad the little ghog didn't see his shadow, and equally pleased we will get a nice snowstorm when most of us can stay home and sew! i love watching the snow and our little dog playing in it! she is so joyful! and then poor monkey puts on her eeyore slouch and curses under her breath when she has to go out. there is a whole lot to be said for indoor plumbing! :D

dotcomdtcm 02-08-2013 09:56 AM

Have you tried the sew-around-the-square method fpr HSTs? Spray starch & cut them down!

cat-on-a-mac 02-08-2013 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm (Post 5847343)
Have you tried the sew-around-the-square method fpr HSTs? Spray starch & cut them down!

I did these recently, and haven't quite decided if I like it or not. It puts the edges on the bias, which is strange. If you starch enuf, it doesn't necessarily cause a problem ...

nancia 02-08-2013 07:29 PM

dotty- i have tried that method, but i don't know the formula to get the original square the right size. i think my major problem was seam allowance size. at that small there is no leeway. two threads off and you have a mess, especially when you multiply that by 5 in a 2" block. i think i will just start making bunches of little hst's and when i'm feeling more confident, and doing a better job, i will make a celebration mini, all hst's!
since the pattern called for squares sewn diagonallly and then the extra triangle cut off, i figured it was my chance to make even smaller hst's with the remnant. so... while they were stabilized i sewed another seam and cut the 2 hsts apart. itty bitty hst's. don't have a clue when or where i'll use them, but they are cute

Julie1 02-08-2013 07:33 PM

You're a braver woman than I. When I made those for a quilt pattern, I looked at the left overs shook my head closed my eyes and threw the them away. jb

AnnaK 02-08-2013 10:33 PM

Love your quilt! How big is it? And, what did you use other than thread and ribbon, what is the transparenty yellow fiber? Looks great and the beads just complete the whole thing. You 've got quite an imagination!

suziehammond 02-11-2013 05:11 PM

Wow you guys have been getting some things done! I am just back from a 9 day sojourn for a family funeral and ready to get back to work. Got my pattern idea and am going to figure how to get a small project on the groundhog theme 5 twists theme. And I am going to have to hurry to get it done.

Starting tonight!

nancia 02-12-2013 01:22 AM

remember, suzi, haste makes waste, and more importantly, this is for fun and fulfillment.
i am sorry for your loss. i know i am now at the age where people are dying. my cousin died a couple of weeks or so ago, and i took it in stride. i'm not saying i didn't, or don't care, only that it is not shocking or surprising any more. my mom would never tell me when someone her age died because she didn't want to be morbid. i guess i understand her a little better.
i took a couple pictures of my 13x13 quilt and i will show them when loaded (not me, i never get loaded! i meant the pix, into the computer.....is it time for bed??)

dotcomdtcm 02-12-2013 06:55 AM

Because of Suzy & Nancia

1 Attachment(s)
Never would have tried this if not for you two! Here is a 4patch, d4p, 9 patch & d9p, in what we love.
Needs quilting & binding. I was going to give this to my BFF but she is giving up sweets for Lent! So I'll save it for Mother's day! Would not want to tempt her! Bought her tea for Valentine's Day!

nancia 02-15-2013 01:29 PM

scrumptious! i just gained 5lbs looking at it!